Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey, I have a HP Pavillion DM1-4020sa product number A2D08EA#ABU, which I upgraded to Wndows 8 the day it came out with no problems at all, dwnloaded all the available drivers including the HP Support Software that auto updates drivers and its been fine since.

Until I turned the Wifi off only to find that it won't turn back on again, I turned it off via the button on the keyboard as you normally would then continued doing what I was doing, went back on later, pressed the button again to turn back on, it turned from red to green as it ormally would, ut Windows 8 won't actully fgure out that it's on, I've rebooted checked for new updates, disabled and reenabled the drver, uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled from the HP site, but still not change.

Any help?

Thanks,

NG

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

I wouldn't know why it's acting like it is, but you might want to try restoring the system back to a date when the wifi worked.

I'm guessing that would enable the wifi again...Take a careful look at this document before you try it, OK?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

Hope this helps,

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Try this. Uninstall your wireless adapter driver. Next install Wireless Button driver:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58720.exe

Reinstall the wireless adapter driver and restart the laptop.

If still no joy, enter BIOS setup by tapping/holding the F10 key immediately after powering on the laptop. Once into BIOS setup, reset to Default settings.Usually done by tapping F9 key,check bottom of screen for correct key for your model.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Not sure if this will still be useful to anyone, but something similar happened to me when I was upgrading the drivers for windows 8 compatibility.  Strangely enough, the wireless capability was somehow turned off when I replaced the ethernet drivers, and would not be recognized as being on by Windows 8, even though I could see the wireless indicator turning on and off when I utilized the function key.  What worked for me, and I was wanting to put this out there so it may help others, was:

1.- Ensure the wireless card is receiving power (Whether through a hardware key, or a software Fn key) and that the wifi indicator light is on -- red means off on some models, so be aware of that.

2.- Right click the network indicator (for wifi, it's the signal strength indicator -- unless you're in a wired connection)

3.- Select Troubleshoot problem

4.- Windows dit its thing and then prompted me to turn on my wireless capabilities (original problem)

5.- Select fix turn on wireless capabilities

6.- Score, enjoy your wifi again.

On a side note, though, with my computer it would seem Windows 8 doesn't always take my word for it when I tell it to save a setting, as it will go away when I reboot ...  After the third time it happened, I entered the BIOS and quickly disabled and re-enabled the wireless capabilities, then saved and exited; and it has not troubled me since (crossing fingers).  Hope it goes well for others also.

HP Recommended

TO ALL DESPARATE USERS

TRUST ME. NONE OF THE METHODS YOU GOOGLED WILL WORK. 

JUST BOOT FROM LINUX LIVE DVD, ENABLE WIRELESS FROM IT.

I USED UBUNTU - http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

I never wanted to use Windows again. I tried all methods - 

- Troubleshoot problems

- Remove and reinstall wireless adaptor and driver

- Refresh your PC feature

- Reset your PC feature

- Reset BIOS to factory defauts

This issue affects all notebook brands not just HP.

So it's because of Microsft not properly doing thorough testing before releasing the product.

Good luck using Windows.

HP Recommended

I have a EliteBook 8570w and had turned on airplane mode while I was on a flight which had no wifi. When I returned to office I toggled airplane mode, expecting it to come back on, that didn't work. I also tried FN F12, and still to no avail.

Eventually I navigated to the charm menu (Windows Key + C) --> Settings --> Change PC Settings --> Wireless. Sure enough the WiFi was off even though airplane mode was turned off. I simply turned wifi back on, and I was on my way.

Win8-WifiOffIssue.png

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Thanky you, using troubleshooting when selecting wireless in taskbar worked.

HP Recommended

Happy you found it useful...

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button on any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

HP Recommended
Thank you so much! This was exactly what I needed to do.
I hit that pesky airplane mode button on accident while trying to mute the sound. Normally i can eithwr just press the button or restart my computer and it is all good, but this time it just would not come back.
HP Recommended

these are the steps that solved my problem

1- go to device manager

2- go to network adapters there you see wifi adapter

3- right click on that icon and open properties

4- go to advanced option

5- there you wil see RADIO ON/OFF click on that icon and parallel to this there is option of enable and disable.... enable it nd clik OK 

problem solved 🙂 

with Hp pavilion windows 8 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.