Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8760W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Elitebook 8760W which I recently upgraded from Windows 7 64 Pro to Windows 10 64 Pro.  

All went well except I can't get the fingerprint driver to work with either Windows Hello service or the HP SimplePass program.  

I have a Validity 471 driver installed that seems to be recognized by Windows 10 and shows as active in the Device Mgr. 

I can get Windows Hello to read the initial fingerprints but when I reboot it refuses to recognize the fingerprint reader.

The HP SimplePass program does not work at all. 

When I upgraded I had to remove the HP Protecttools in order to do the upgrade.  I later tried to install the latest software with Windows compatibility mode.  Still no love with the Simplepass program. 

I really don't want to use the HP software.  All I want to do is be able to log on with my fingerprint reader.    I don't understand why the Windows 10 Hello program won't work with a valid biometrics driver.  All I can surmise is that this driver is not totally compatible with Windows 10. 

Has anyone been able to make the biometrics fingerprint reader work with Windows hello in Windows 10?  

I wish HP would step up to the plate and update their software!

Any help with the Validity 471 driver would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Maybe you do it wrong! Here is what i did

Clear all finger data in HP security

Uninstall HP validity driver

Install Lenovo one in the link i give you

Go in Devide manager=>scan for hardware change=> wait until it show biometric devides=>uninstall this until it show yellow mark=> right click =>update devide software=> browse my computer...=> let me pick from a list..=> biometric devices(or what i dont know, but not the"biometric" one)=> untick show compatible hardware=>synaptics FB Sensors=>choose your one( my is PID=(0015)) you can try one of them until window hello show in setting.  

You can try again ! hope it fix

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi! I'm using elitebook 8770w, have the same problem and i found this! http://xavier.smart-it.be/2013/12/how-to-enable-windows-81-login-with.html

I try and this work! Maybe you can try. 

HP Recommended

Thanks much for the response.   I'll give it a try and let you know. 

Cheers, 

HP Recommended

Unfortunately that did not work.  The only driver I can get to load in device manager shows WBF PID = 003c

In Programs it shows Synaptics WBF DDK 5011. 

Before I could access the option in Windows Hello to configure the Fingerprint reader.  Now it does not even show the option. 

I guess I'm going to have to give up on using the fingerprint reader in Windows 10 until someone can come up with a fix for the Elitebook 8760W. 

If anyone has made this work with this laptop on Windows 10 - please let me know. 

Thanks in advance. 

HP Recommended

Here is some additional info on trying this driver to work with Microsoft Hello:

After the driver is loaded, I'm able to bring up the Windows Hello fingerprint setup program.  I'm also able to scan in my finger prints with no problem.  Hello says I'm all setup for the next login. 

I reboot my computer and I get an error message on the main screen that say that it is having trouble identifying me.  I don't understand why I would be getting this message when I am setting it up to use the fingerprint scanner. 

I try to scan my fingerprint on this screen - nothing happens. 

I hit enter to go to the password screen.  

I swipe my finger print across the reader again - nothing happens. 

I then select the option to use the finger print to longon.  I swipe my finger again - nothing happens. 

I then go to my usual pin based logon and login. 

There appears to be some kind of problem with Microsoft's biometric program and how it interacts on login with my Finger print reader. 

Once again, I'm using an HP Elitebook 8760W with a Validity VFM - 471 driver. 

If anyone knows what the problem with this is, please let me know. 

I've exhausted all of my options to make this work. 

HP Recommended

Maybe you do it wrong! Here is what i did

Clear all finger data in HP security

Uninstall HP validity driver

Install Lenovo one in the link i give you

Go in Devide manager=>scan for hardware change=> wait until it show biometric devides=>uninstall this until it show yellow mark=> right click =>update devide software=> browse my computer...=> let me pick from a list..=> biometric devices(or what i dont know, but not the"biometric" one)=> untick show compatible hardware=>synaptics FB Sensors=>choose your one( my is PID=(0015)) you can try one of them until window hello show in setting.  

You can try again ! hope it fix

HP Recommended

Thanks for your attempt to help me resolve this. 

First of all I don't have HP Protectools installed anymore.  I didn't think that had anything to do with MIcrosoft's Hello biometric security. 

Second - I did install the Lenovo drivers but none showed as being a fit for my Validity 471 reader. 

I don't think the Lenovo drivers will work for my specific 8760W laptop. 

I did get the Hello software to show a biometric reader.  It even let me swipe in fingerprints when I set it up.  It just won't allow me to sign on when I reboot the computer. 

HP needs to get their act together and update their software!   I will never buy another HP product again.  My Elitebook is a nice piece of hardware, but when HP refuses to support older laptops with new drivers when new OS's come out, it's time to stop buying their products. 

HP Recommended

I messed with this some more today and actually got it to work.  You were right it was the Synaptics FP driver that needed to be loaded.  I loaded 15 - the same one you did and it worked!    I saw that I wasn't going into the device update manager the right way the time before. 

Thank you very much for helping me out here.  It's a shame that HP can't build a driver that works for a simple Fingerprint reader on their premium laptops for Windows 10.   It seems ridiculous that we had to go find a Lenovo compatible driver that works and then go through such a complex process to make it work. 

Even so - Kudos to you and your help!  

Thanks once again. 

HP Recommended
Glad to hear that. I don't know why too but window 10 just released and maybe HP need some more time to update their product.
HP Recommended

since windows 10 is new and it may not worked well with every pc since there is like million differnt PCs out there and also HP may or may not have updates on their download and drivers page related to your specific pc yet and maybe later and hopefully soon

and in some cases you might have to re-install some application and/or drivers after you get windows 10 running on your computer or wait for new drivers or application updates either form Ms or HP or the provider of your product such as like i have corel word perfect which i have not tested it yet because i waiting to get a 3rd device fearing it might register it as a 3rd PC on  my 3 pc per license

good luck

Please provide Kudos to whom has provided answers or
good points or advice..
Aslo if the questions or issues solved please check it
"Accepted"
Thanks and you are welcome _____ Rick
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.