01-04-2009 02:52 PM
Have not been able to do windows update for the past 3 months. The Error 80074712 always appears.
Only the Windows Defender update is performed.
Running HP Pavilion dv6500 notebool with 4 GB Ram.
01-04-2009 03:06 PM
1st - Make sure your system's date and time settings are correct.
2nd - Disable your firewall and anti-virus applications.
3rd - Follow the instructions below, if this doesn't work - use the link at the bottom for more tips.
Method 10: Empty the software distribution folder
- Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
Note: On a Windows Vista-based computer, click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box, right-click services.msc, and then click Run as administrator.
- In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Stop.
- Minimize the Services (local) window.
- Select all the contents of the Windows distribution folder, and then delete them.
Note: By default, the Windows distribution folder is located in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Make sure that the Windows distribution folder is empty, and then maximize the Services (local) window.
- In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Start.
- Restart the computer, and then run Windows Update again.
If none of the above resolved your issue, go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798