Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7-4270us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Good morning Experts!

Windows Update continually searches for updates and never stops.

This began about a month ago.  It states that updates have never been checked for and never have been installed.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To answer my own post 4 months later.

Windows Update is now working correctly!

Go to You Tube and search for download.wsusoffline.net

Eli The Computer Guy video helped me tremendously!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

#HPExpertDay

This is observed when a firewall is blocking the computer. Please check the firewall settings on the computer.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick reply.

The Norton 360 firewall is enabled. I have been running this software for 4 years and never experienced Windows Update issues.

I also checked and the Windows update firewall is on. I don't think I should have both enabled. I am correct?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Method 1: Windows Update error 80070002

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070002

Method 2: Perform clean boot and check.

To help troubleshoot error message, you can start Windows Vista or Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: To reset the computer to normal mode after troubleshooting, please follow “How to reset the computer to start as usual” from the above article.

Method 3: Perform a System File Checker (SFC) scan.

Perform a System File Checker (SFC) scan on your computer. SFC tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

Refer the following article for more information on using SFC tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 4: Disable antivirus software and check.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Disable-antivirus-software

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

#hpexpertday

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
Please click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.
Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.
HP Recommended

@jkhjr

More Ideas -- apologies if these been suggested:

The Windows Update Service might be stuck -- you might manually start the Service:

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services >

Scroll down, Highlight and then Start Windows Update

Green_Line_1.jpg

The Windows Update icon may have "fallen off" your Notifications Taskbar.  This issue is usually accompanied by an error; nonetheless, it may be worth checking.

Updates – When and How

See Section:  Set Windows Update Notification Icon (Windows 7)

Green_Line_1.jpg

Use the Windows Update Fix from Microsoft:

Fix Microsoft Windows Update Issues

Green_Line_1.jpg

Along with the suggestion above, the following Microsoft community thread provides additional ideas:

Windows 7 SP1 Windows Update stuck checking for updates

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

To answer my own post 4 months later.

Windows Update is now working correctly!

Go to You Tube and search for download.wsusoffline.net

Eli The Computer Guy video helped me tremendously!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.