Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone.

The way that the wireless button works is a little different in Windows 8.  Pressing the wireless button deactivates/activates Airplane Mode even on a brand new Windows 8 notebook.  However, turning airplane mode on/off only disables the radios but doesn't actually put the devices into a disabled state.  Try the following.

1. From the Metro view type "wireless."
  2. You should then see "settings" on the right.  Select this and it will populate many wireless related items on the left side of the screen.
  3. Select "wireless" from this section.
  4. You should see a few options.  One being "Airplane mode" and the others being an on/off switch for bluetooth and/or wireless.  
  5. Ensure that both of these are turned on while airplane mode is off.
  6. Save changes and reboot.

After doing this when you press the wireless button it should enable/disable the wireless.  

I hope this is helpful to everyone; have a great evening!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

please choose your model accordingly.. see the bios update under the BIOS column. also install the wireless button driver.

without the wireless button driver it will either be turned on or off permanently.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4132&lc=en&cc=in&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5239...

HP Recommended
Wireless button driver link: ( Choose ur lap model)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

please choose your model accordingly.. see the bios update under the BIOS column. also install the wireless button driver.
without the wireless button driver it will either be turned on or off permanently.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4132&lc=en&cc=in&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5239...
HP Recommended

Nah, that is the driver someone else posted before and it only makes your F12 key toggle on or off the airplane mode instead of turning on or off wifi. That is not the solution. We still need a solution from HP. They sold a laptop, Windows 8 came up and the laptop is not prepared for it. Not only that, they encourage us to upgrade and pay $39 to Microsoft.

HP Recommended

The whole reason of having this thread is because what you propose to do doesn't work. When you try to toggle Wireless on from Settings, it doesn't do anything. 

We need HP to solve it.

HP Recommended

dats wat i told...

1. Remove da battery.

remove da ac charge

hold the power button for 45 secs for the excess charge built up on the keys.

plug in the ac charger without the battery.

start the laptop. c it will work widout the battery for once or at times twice.

Follow step 2:

2.just update da BIOS to F22 from ur previous bios update. It is working absolutely fine after that .

after the bios update the wifi led remains white and does not respond to hits.

for that u need wirless button driver.

3.combination of both the installations is making it work fine.

HP Recommended

Nah, it dont work!

You made me follow all those steps and in the end the same thing. It toggles on or off the airplane mode but just that.

Please HP people, do something!!!!!

HP Recommended

I have a brand new dv6t-7000. I tried all the solutions in this forum and contacted on the HP Instant Support Chat on-line support.

Their approach was:

1) Install the HP WiFi Button Driver

2) Update the Bios

Of course this did nothing, so their assuption was that it is a hardware issue and the machine needs to go to a service centre. As I bought the machine for research in rural Kenya, where I am working right now, this is not what I want to hear. Given the number of people with this issue and that it happens with upgrading to Windows 8, I strongly suspect it is a driver issue not a hardware issue.

I have asked for my case to be escalated in the hope that someone at HP will take this issue seriously enough to find a solution. Perhaps if we could all contact HP Instant Support and raise the problem it will hit their radar.

Sorry I can't give you all better news.

Pete

HP Recommended

From the desktop right click the network icon and select troubleshooting, it should say something like your network adaptor is switched off.  I clicked the apply fix button and it somehow turned the wifi on.

HP Recommended

That is what we all tried from the beginning and it doesn't work. We need a new HP driver for Windows 8. They are advertising to upgrade and then their computers don't work.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.