Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just SOLVED this issue on my DV7-6c27... 

I had upgraded to Windows 8 from 7, and I couldn't get my wifi light to change from orange to white. I had tech support from everyone from HP to Microsoft, even Realtek (MY WIFI CARD). 

So after a long week of fighting with it and trying everything my tech friends could think of I said screw it, and was going to do a full DOWNGRADE from 7. 

So I went to System Recovery, opened the program, and was about to start the process.

But I changed my mind, I found the "SYSTEM RESET" instead. I did a "FULL" reset, after which, my wifi button was turned on. The only catch was now it wouldn't turn off. 

So I used Windows Update, got most of my system back to where it was. And downloaded the "WIFI BUTTON" driver. 

Now it 8 works fine, and so does my Wifi.

Hope this helps everyone.  

IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO THIS RESET>>>>>>>>>>>BACKUP & SAVE YOUR FILES

HP Recommended

Mjolhnir...

When suggesting you "solved" the issue, and it "works fine", could you please clarify?

Does the button LED change to orange color, when depressing button with white LED?

And when button LED is orange, does pressing the button change the LED to white? 

Does pressing the button impact any other wireless connectivity, besides wifi?

When you shutdown/hibernate/restart the notebook does the button LED auto turn from white to orange and wifi auto disconnect?

And on a power up/restart/awaken from sleep does the button LED auto turn white (that is if the button was not pressed to disable wireless before shutting down/hibernating/restarting)?

HP Recommended

Where is this "system reset" menu item you refer to. In the Win8 Pro Recovery Control panel and don't see "system reset". I see "System Restore". And there is a "system refresh" function under the Charm Bar > PC Settings > Change PC Settings > "Refresh your PC w/o affecting your files".

But I don't see a "System Reset".

HP Recommended

Yes, The wifi button works properly toggling back and forth from on to off, even after shut down and restart. No other wifi issues seem to be present.

HP Recommended

HPTreeFrog,  

Just looked through my computer funny thing is now after resetting it I can't seem to find the reset screen anywhere. It could be a one time thing. So be sure that it something you want to do.

I think that you start in the "Refresh your PC w/o affecting your files". 

If I remember correctly it give you the option to do a complete reset, which wipes out everything.

HP Recommended

When you do this system reset, all your programs get errased? So then you have to install every program again?

HP Recommended
that wireless driver is just making the "airplane mode" toggle, I want the wifi! and there is no other way to turn it on except the toggle button. I installed all the drivers required.
😞
HP Recommended
I suspect the previous poster meant he reset the BIOS to default settings or reset a specific device driver to default. Yes, doing a system refresh removes your apps. I would not recommend doing this just to attempt to solve the button issue. Keep in mind HP notebook models differ in their system BIOS, system and network/wireless chipsets, etc. Just because one person reports a procedure fixed things on their system, do not interpret those instructions will work for your system. P.S. I now note when my dv7 notebook lid is almost closed I can see the LED button turns from white to orange. And then on reopening the lid, which auto awakens the notebook from sleep, the button LED turns back to white. But I can no longer depend on the button disabling the wireless radio. So for now, until HP solves this issue I will always manually disconnect need to ensure I'm disconnect wifi manually via W8 taskbar wireless icon. But then, I'm still not certain the wifi radio hardware is no longer transmitting . Wish there was an app available which I could click on a desktop icon to ensure my wireless is completely disabled, but at the same time leave my Bluetooth alone.
HP Recommended
Wish this forum supported edit ability...intended to say: "So for now, until HP solves this issue, I will always manually disconnect via the W8 taskbar wireless icon, to ensure Win8 wifi is disconnected from the internet."
HP Recommended

When you say: "So for now, until HP solves this issue", do you really think HP is working on solving this issue, or they just left us alone in the woods and don't care about us at all?

Last time I talked to a HP representative from India he said in a very broken English that HP doesn't support WIN8 for our laptops bought less than a year ago and that I had to revert to Win7.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.