Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I just bought a hp 2560p elitebook laptop with a big discount. Now I found out that the bios password was set. When I tried to contact the seller, he said this laptop was part of HP demo program return. The bios password was set up by the user, but not given when it was return to HP. He said I would have to contact HP if I want the password. I though I would  ask if you can help first. Greatly appreciated!

HP Elitebook 2560P

LJ461UT#ABA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Almost all newer HP's have the ADMIN and System passwords recorded in BIOS chip.

The unlock procedure is to read the BIOS, clean the lock, sign it and flash the BIOS back with the resulted dump.

For this you need the SPEG programmer.

http://www.allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1311

I have found no one “YET” that has a master password generator for these new HP’s.

Sorry Van.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

HP will only reset the password for the orignal purchaser/owner after proof of ownership, not sure what they will do for a "demo unit", sounds like a "story" to me.

Some models can clear the password by removing the cmos battery for a few hours, some cannot be cleared this way, you will have to send it to a repair facility that specializes in re setting this type of bios password if removing the cmos battery does not work.

Be sure to enter the bios and set the date and time after removing the cmos battery and clearing the password, do this before windows loads.

Here is one company that has this type of password service.

Email:  office@aqstech.com

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677

HP Recommended

You have to remove the main battery, the Real Time Clock battery and adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds and then leave it sit for about 10 minutes.

When you install the batteries back and plug the adapter in, you will be asked to load the BIOS defaults on boot up, push the enter key for this. Remember to reset the clock, this is important.

If you need help located the RTC battery post again.

HP Recommended

Remove the batter and rtc battery and adapter. Hold the power button for 30 seconds and let it sit for 15 minutes. plug the rtc battery back in and put the battery in and the laptop power on and ask to default the bios. Press enter and it default, but didn't reset the bios password.

HP Recommended

If anyone else have a solution, greatly appreciated posting or replying.

HP Recommended

Almost all newer HP's have the ADMIN and System passwords recorded in BIOS chip.

The unlock procedure is to read the BIOS, clean the lock, sign it and flash the BIOS back with the resulted dump.

For this you need the SPEG programmer.

http://www.allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1311

I have found no one “YET” that has a master password generator for these new HP’s.

Sorry Van.

HP Recommended

I found this article online that might help you, Reset Bios Password. I was working with my win7 laptop on this issue and got that article as one of my reference, it did helped a lot specially it saved my time and money. I hope it will work for you too..see yah 🙂

HP Recommended

i have tried this and it worked for me 

http://www.allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3128

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi!

I have closed this thread to help keep the comments timely. If you have more to add, please start a new thread. Click here if you want to learn more about how to start a new conversation/thread.

Please post in a new thread for better exposure. It may also be helpful if you posted a few more details about your computer/printer and your issues.

1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you!"

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.