Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

swsetup folder issue:

I need to free up space on my C-drive.  My swsetup folder takes up 10% of the C-drive.  I would like to put it on the D-drive.  How can I redirect the HP program that uses files in that folder to look for them on the D-drive?

I am using an HP 8770 Elitebook running Windows 7.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The swsetup is separate from the recovery partition. The drivers and preinstalled programs are located in both places. If you run the system recovery from the recovery partition it will recreate the swsetup folder. Just cut it and paste it wherever you want to store it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I think you will find that swsetup only contains installer files (.exe) and drivers. There are no installed program files in there. So you can just cut and paste it elsewhere or even store it on external media. If I am wrong, delete the programs and then reinstall them from the new location for the installer file and change the installation directory when that option presents itself. 

HP Recommended

I think you're right about the contents of the folder.  I was just worried about the HP restore programs that would not be able to find the files if they were needed.  I suppose I could just copy the folder back in that case--assuming I have enough command of the computer to do that.  I think in 'safe' mode I would be able to do that.

HP Recommended

The swsetup is separate from the recovery partition. The drivers and preinstalled programs are located in both places. If you run the system recovery from the recovery partition it will recreate the swsetup folder. Just cut it and paste it wherever you want to store it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.