Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8460
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I have a few different windows open (Outlook, IE, Adobe Prof10, etc.), I have a lot of trouble cycling from one windo to the next. In Windows 7, I was able to hold "Alt + Tab" and it would allow me to change the active window displayed.

With Windows 10, I can click on the window I want to come to forefront (on the task bar) and it does not bring it forward. Or, it will bring it forward and then it disappears back into the background, quickly.

My work calls for me to have a few open programs at a time and it is almost impossible to change the active window, without minimizing each window that is on top of the window (program) I need to have forward.

BTW: sometimes it will work, but only 1 time in several tries. Very inefficient and a pain.

Anyone have this problem after updrading from 7 to 10 (I foolowed the free upgrade prompt)?

Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thank you all for your help.
Abet1 hit it squarely, I beleive. The other thing that has helped (or so it seems) has been for me to attach a keyboard and mouse, for a short period of time. Having had no problems, as described prior, I disconnected both and the problem occurs very rarely. And, by "rarely", I can say, that it has only happened once in all the time, since. I spend over 6 hours a day on my laptop and (knock on wood) it's worked properly 99.9% of the time and when it did fail, I "hooked-up" again and it has not failed, since. I beleive it must be a hardware issue, rather than W10.

Thanks again, everyone for your input.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello,

ALT+TAB: displays windows opened on ALL your desktops
WIN+TAB: displays windows opened ONLY on your CURRENT desktop + list of your desktops

#hpexpertday

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
Please click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.
Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.
HP Recommended

Hi,

here's your guide for windows 10 shortcuts, a treasure i found just for you 🙂

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-tip-switch-between-open-apps-and-desktops

The keyboard shortcuts : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/keyboard-shortcuts

And http://www.howtogeek.com/198122/32-new-keyboard-shortcuts-in-the-windows-10-technical-preview/

have fun!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the instructions, but I guess I need to explain, further.

I know about those shortcuts and thats all fine, but, when I try to cycle to another of those windows, it shows as though I am changing to the next one, but it does not stay at the forefront of my screen. It literally, blinks on and then goes back to the one I was on, previously.

The only way I can get it to cycle to another window, is to minimize each window that is in front of the one I want to use.

For example: I have Outlook, IE and Quicken all open on the screen. Outlook is on top (in this example) and I want to bring Quicken to the foreground.

I click Win+Tab anf all 3 windows appear and I can move to select any of them with my directional arrow keys and I choose Quicken.

It will pop up in front for a fraction of a second and then the original window pops back up in front.

I have even tried to click on any one of the programs showing as active on my task bar, and I either have to double-click it (sometimes that works) or it doesn't do anything at all except show the smaller versions of that programs window(s).

It is so frustrating because it is actually very difficult to switch between windows. Very time consuming and not efficient at all. Sometimes I just click-away and I can't get the window to come up at all.

My computer guru tried the commands on his machine (not an HP) and he has no problems at all.

So, my questions are: What is the problem here? Is it a bad install of Window10 (I upgraded from Windows7 via the free upgrade, offered.

What can I do about it, because this is not working for me? Should I just go back to Windows7 and forget this entirely (not my 1st choice)?

Could there be something malfunctioning with my computer hardware?

I have run Norton (my anti-virus software) and do not have any problems showing with mallware or virus.

I hope I have explained it more clearly.

Please advise.

HP Recommended

The explanation was good and it shall yield positive results,

If the screen blinks as you mentioned, could be a display adapter issue, i would recommend : reinstalling the display drivers using device manager and then downloading the latest drivers for you display adapter using : hp.com/support

If the issue persists, you might want to consider re-installing the OS, if the issue wasn't on win7 before upgrade.

And then if Win10 is needed, re-install it again - it should remove any glitches.

And If the issue remains the same on win7 as well, then you probably need a display test done using either the hp support assistant or the F2 while restarting the pc to run a video test.

depending on the test results, if it passed: re-install win 7 back to OEM / if it fails : contact HP support to get a replacement video card as it may be minor but is indeed a h/w failure.

Did i miss anything, Aaah! yes the Norton, should be fine with the latest updates, although i doubt that would have anything to do with the issue, but good you mentioned...so we have all the point covered.

Do, reply if you need further assistance.

Eager to help!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.

Just to clarify: the screen doesn't blink.... the window that I'm trying to get to come to the forefront, comes up for a millisecond (sp) and then disappears back to the background. I described that as a "blink", because, if you blink, you will miss it.

I find myself clicking so much the keyboard will wear out in a few months (not good).

I'm certainly not a tech, but it does not appear to me, to be a display (screen) issue, but more likely an OS issue.

I will try what you suggested with the roll-back to Windows7, because I really have spent way more time on this than I had available. I need to get back to my actual job (LoL). Its too bad, I really like the Windows10 interface, but I had no problems all these years with Windows7.

Thank you, again for the assisstance.

HP Recommended

I have tried to reply again, but it won't send my reply. It shows as an error.

I'll try again here:

Thank you.

Just to clarify: the screen doesn't blink.... the window that I'm trying to get to come to the forefront, comes up for a millisecond (sp) and then disappears back to the background. I described that as a "blink", because, if you blink, you will miss it.

I find myself clicking so much the keyboard will wear out in a few months (not good).

I'm certainly not a tech, but it does not appear to me, to be a display (screen) issue, but more likely an OS issue.

I will try what you suggested with the roll-back to Windows7, because I really have spent way more time on this than I had available. I need to get back to my actual job (LoL). Its too bad, I really like the Windows10 interface, but I had no problems all these years with Windows7.

Thank you, again for the assisstance.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Good luck with the roll back,

Keep me posted though, if i find any alternate solutions considering your love for win10 interface, i will reply back ASAP.

And give me a thumbs up to show your appreciation And/OR mark this comment as solution found.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

ijondo12

While Microsoft tells you that there is no risk in the Win10 Upgrade, because they let you believe that you can always revert back to your original OS and setup within 30 days, the ugly fact of the matter is that the Win10 GoBack function has proven to be unreliable -- and when it fails, it can leave machines in a corrupted state -- which doesn't always happen, but it does happen often enough to be a problem and you won't get any warning in advance that it is going to trash your PC!

The Win10 Upgrade is know, in some cases, to corrupt the Recovery partition stored there by the OEM that built the original machine.  This pretty much guarantees that no HP Recovery is going to work.

So, BEFORE you try any ROLLBACK, I strongly suggest you consider an alternative known as a Repair-Install.  This is the least destructive of all the Windows recovery functions and rewrites the Windows system files, including the drivers, leaving your data, settings, and applications intact.

To do this, you will need to use the link to download Win10 installation media and either burn a DVD or create a USB stick: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit).  While you CAN change these settings, do NOT. If you do, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code!

Once you have that media, follow the instructions in the link:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Yes, I also see this problem and want to explain it a little more.  The problem is that the active window is not the window that appears on top.  I can type into the active window, I just can't see it.  If I use WIN and D keys, to show the desktop, then I can usually alt-tab to the proper window, but the problem is still there.     It goes away for a short time after a reboot.  

From other searches, outside of HP, it does appear to be a problem with the Synaptics touchpad, but the workaround of deleting and reloading the driver mentioned in these other places does not work or only seems to work for a short time after the reboot.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/19244-taskbar-bug-switching-another-window-will-not-appear-...

Is there some other driver that I should be loading?   Or some other suggestions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.