Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
elitebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i want to install a clean version of windows 10 on a completely formatted SSD.

during install i get :

"cannot install windows on this hard disk; the hardware of this computer might not support booting from this disk; make sure the disk-controller is enabled in the BIOS of this computer"

how/where in the bios can i enable this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

i succeeded in installing win10 !

hdd had to have the mode MBR and then the install was successfull.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Need full model number of computer but how did you format the SSD. Windows 10 needs a GPT file system not MBR. Delete whatever partition is present and start from a blank volume. 

HP Recommended

my laptop is a HP Elitebook 840 G1.

ik have tried formatting with UltimateBootCD tools and tried with the formatting during installation of Win10.

HP Recommended

i removed whatever partitions were present, created a new one and formatted it.

all this with the win10 setup program.

now there is only one partition, but the message remains the same...

"cannot install windows on this disk. the hardware of this computer might not support the startup on this disk. make sure to have the disk-controller enabled in the BIOS of this computer"

(translated from dutch)

HP Recommended

now i succeeded with gparted to delete everything, create a new partition table GPT and created a ntfs partition.

but when installing win10 it says that it cannot install windows10 because the disk has a GPT partition style ...

i thought win10 prescribes gpt but it looks like "my version of the install" requires MBR ?

HP Recommended

Leave the disk blank and let Windows 10 do the formatting and partitioning, not gparted. 

HP Recommended
Hi, thanks for your answer.
Buy i already tried to let Windows​do the formatting and partitioning.
Buy even then i get this same message...
HP Recommended

Are you removing all partitions leaving the disk as entirely blank? Does the Windows installer see the disk? 

HP Recommended

the answer to both questions is : yes

HP Recommended

i succeeded in installing win10 !

hdd had to have the mode MBR and then the install was successfull.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.