Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Chrome OS

Chrombook 14 has crashed, and I have installed the "Recovery" about 15 times as it kept crashing.

I uninstalled all extensions and apps that weren't google apps after the 3rd or 4th crash.

Finally it crashed and the "Recovery" will not restore the computer... in any USB port. Have tried a couple dozen times and have even created a new recovery on another pen drive. No Go.

What next folks?

There is no chat service for this product in Germany... and gives you the following message:

"This product is supported elsewhere at HP

We apologize but the product you specified is not supported by the HP Chat Support at this time.

Support for this product is available at
HP Customer Care"

Problem with the above from HP is the HP page it sends you to comes up blank on my PC after clicking on their HP Customer Care page link!!!!!!!!!!!

And, under German law this product has an automatic 2-year warranty. The HP site says only 1 year... they should correct this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Were they different brands? That is what I mean.

The same sort of issue exists with usb recovery media for notebooks and desktop PCs. 

I am in the process of forcing a recovery. The first time I used usb recovery media created on a Sandisk 8GB flashdrive. It was unsuccessful, even though the media creator said it was successful in creating the media. Sandisk brand usb flashdrives are known to be problematic when it comes to recovery media creation.

I created another usb recovery media flashdrive with a 32 Gb Kingston rubber ducky usb 3.0 flashdrive. This one is working as expected. 

Update: the forced recovery completed successfully. It didn't take long to complete. Perhaps three or four minutes at most.

recovery1.jpg

recovery2.png

recovery3.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

After a crash did you try rebooting your chromebook?

Is there a specific message you see when the chromebook crashes? (i.e. he's dead, Jim)

Are you still able to boot into Chrome OS?

Had you considered executing a Powerwash? ( after saving important data to your Google online storage)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03662007

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

After esc ... F3 and the on/off button to reboot the machine... comes:

Chrome OS is missing or damaged.

Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card

After doing this... it gets to the next step:

Where it checks the stick and should begin the process of downloading the OS from the USB made from ChromeOS recovery... I then get the message:

An unexpected error has appeared. Tips for repair can be found under the URL:

google.com/chromeos/recovery

###

I had done this about 15times in 2 days... now it doesn't recover...

HP Recommended

What is the complete product number or product name for your chromebook?

Follow the instructions on the following page to create usb Chrome OS recovery media on a different usb flash drive and then try recovering again.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595

If that does not work, then I will ask to have your issue escalated. 

You are indeed correct about the EC two year warranty. 🙂

HP Recommended

HP Chromebook 14

Model: 14 - q030sg

I've used 2 different pen drives, and the second worked for about 15 times, but not any longer.

I'll try with an SD card and let you know how it goes shortly.

HP Recommended

Were they different brands? That is what I mean.

The same sort of issue exists with usb recovery media for notebooks and desktop PCs. 

I am in the process of forcing a recovery. The first time I used usb recovery media created on a Sandisk 8GB flashdrive. It was unsuccessful, even though the media creator said it was successful in creating the media. Sandisk brand usb flashdrives are known to be problematic when it comes to recovery media creation.

I created another usb recovery media flashdrive with a 32 Gb Kingston rubber ducky usb 3.0 flashdrive. This one is working as expected. 

Update: the forced recovery completed successfully. It didn't take long to complete. Perhaps three or four minutes at most.

recovery1.jpg

recovery2.png

recovery3.png

HP Recommended

Erico,

Thanks for your help.

Amazing... I loaded an SD card (Scandisk) and it didn't work. Didn't work after having it reformatted either.

The I pulled out another pen drive, loaded the recovery, and it worked.

Power washed the Chromebook after.

Let's see how long it goes before crashing!

Once again, thanks for your help.

Cheers.

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

It worked... for about an hour or so before crashing again.

I guess I need HP to fix this, because the Chromebook keeps doing this... over and over and over again.

Suggestions?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Contact HP for warranty service. Tell the representative about what we have tried.

Chromebooks don't crash very often. It is too bad that there is no way to perform any hardware diagnostic tests on chromebooks.

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

Filled out a form for HP Serive... after 3-days I received no email or call.

So I called.

My German isn't so great, and the woman on the phone acted like a Frenchman... only in German.

She wanted me to buy some service to continue (as far as I cuold understand)

I gathered for some reason the 2-year EU warranty isn't accepted ... and this after the thing started dying a couple weeks after the 1-year warranty expired.

This is the second HP product that has done this... the other, a laptop died because they placed a component too close to a heat source within the laptop, and it melted the connection... rendering the thing 100% useless.

Needless to say, I doubt I'll be buying any more HP products. 

Fool me once... shame on them.

Fool me twice... shame on me.

Luckily there are other providers of what I need.

Knowing a bit about HP's history... Mr. Hewlett and Mr. Packard would probably be a little more than disappointed.

I know I'm beyond that at this point.

But Erico...

Thanks again. You're the one shining light in all of this.

Cheers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.