Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

My new HP will randomly shut off if I have more than one application running. I think this problem is with overheating, but not 100% sure. I have updated the Bios to F.33 version and have ensured that everything else is up to date with the proper drivers. 

there is no warning when the computer shuts off and no error message. The computer sits on a desk with no air flow problems, and I have tried to clean the fan of dust. 

1) HP Pavilion g6

2) Windows 7, 64-bit

3) none

4) none

Any help would be appreciated. 

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

{word filter evasion} is this annoying. This has happened to me as well on the Pavillion G6-1b60us model. Evntually after so many unexpected system shutdowns, I can't boot due to "Unmountable Boot Volume" error. Most likely due to corrupted system files. I've resotred 3 times. HP Support insists that it's not a hardware issue, but I'm starting to become quite skepticle... Something's not right in these notebooks...

Please someone reply to this gentleman's post. I'm noticing it's been over two weeks with no reply!

HP Recommended

I was also a little curious about the status of this post. In the end I contacted them. I'm sorry you are also having the same problem..but it seems yours is at a much deeper level...now i know what i have to look forward to. 

Based on my conversations with them, my suggestion would be to update your BIOS to the current version that is out - I believe it can be done through the HP assistant...i'm betting you've done that already though... I was told to clean my air vents. Obviously these didn't help me and i was told that they would need to start the repair process through sending it in for warranty work. I would rather not be put through all that, so i purchased a targus fan and would recommend it. 

vegafx12, are you getting a blue screen of death error? personally, i think that the windows files on your hard drive are corrupted. I might try formating the hard drive and try re-installing windows. i have no clue if that would work..but it seems to be a better idea than waiting for HP to respond to our questions. 

Good luck! 

HP Recommended

Yes I also bought my Pavilion G6 about 8 months ago and about 1 month!!! after buying it, it started doing this, randomly shutting off, like a power cut.

The laptop then automatically powers on and prompts to enter safe mode or normal mode, saying there was an innappropriate shutdown.

C'mon HP you guys have dropped the ball here, its bad business, fix your issues!

HP Recommended
Could you please give me the exact model number of your notebook?

You can use the following document if you need assistance in finding it.

http://goo.gl/GDeRb
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply Kyle.

Its a Pavilion g6

Product Number: A1Z87UA#ABC

HP Recommended
DineshF,

Use the following document to troubleshoot your issue.

http://goo.gl/SiWGH

Let me know if that helps you out.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

i have had my g6 for 3 years trouble free, NOW it has decided to shut down randomly, i have noticed the airflow exhaust gets extremely hot, i get no warnings at all, i have updated to no avail, BUT if i put a cooling fan underneath the laptop, it runs cool and will run ALL day, its definatly a cooling problem

HP Recommended

Hello keith1306,

Please take a look at this document, which provides some troubleshooting steps and suggestions on keeping your PC cool.  Please let me know if this helps.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
Hi Keith I'm having the same problems despite bios updates. Mostly I find when two videos are running at the same time the hardware can't handle it. Also when hdmi is plugged in two videos running causes it to randomly shut off and reboot.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.