Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC has now just started with this "critical error - start menu not working" nonsense.

Is there a proper fix for this yet, as everything I have tried so far is not working.  I haven't tried reinstalling Windows 10 yet as I don't want to use that option until absolutely necessary.

Can't believe the issues I have had with this PC and I've only had it 3 months.  Wish my cheap old HP was still useable...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
SEE 2017 UPDATE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OVr9SSzd1g Easy and fast! Windows 10 Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana not working message? This video easily explains how to solve this Windows 10 Error Message and have your Start Menu back in no time! Buy me a cup of coffee - PayPal email:
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended
SEE 2017 UPDATE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OVr9SSzd1g Easy and fast! Windows 10 Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana not working message? This video easily explains how to solve this Windows 10 Error Message and have your Start Menu back in no time! Buy me a cup of coffee - PayPal email:
HP Recommended

Cheers - that has solved it.  Only wasted 4 hours trying to fix it.  No doubt it will happen again if the messages are to be believed but at least I won't be crying on my keyboard trying to sort it out.  Windows 10 is a dog.

HP Recommended

I watched the video and followed the steps.  I didn't get the critical error in safe mode but I got another message saying I needed a new app to run the msconfig program please help!!

HP Recommended

This fix did NOT cure the critical error for me.

HP Recommended

Using HP Notebook, Windows 10. In last few days got the "Critical Error Start Menu..."  message. The instructions in the video posted by RE051ST (showing safe mode boot followed by unselecting safe mode and then regular booting) brought back the Start Menu. But every so often the problem happens again.

I am not sure if the issues are related, but around the same time (end of March 2016) Start Menu did not work, Search the Web and Windows, and Edge browser would not respond. After rebooting Start Menu and Edge are back, but the small lower left Search is unresponsive.

Is there a more permanent fix other than rebooting all the time ?

HP Recommended

Actually uninstalling dropbox worked for me! This fix did nothing.

HP Recommended

I just went through the same thing with my less than 3 month old HP 😞 I contacted support and after doing diagnostics they determined that I would need a complete restart - took about 3 hours of my night and I'm still trying to download previous apps and find old files but it seemed to fix the problem

HP Recommended

OK, so it happened again and this time the fix suggested in the video last time has not worked.

Any suggestions anyone? 

Disappointed with HP that they are not answering these questions but leaving it up to the community to sort it out. I would have expected an HP employee to be on this straightaway.  And don't get me started on Microsoft!!!

HP Recommended

@And2 wrote:

OK, so it happened again and this time the fix suggested in the video last time has not worked.

Any suggestions anyone? 

Disappointed with HP that they are not answering these questions but leaving it up to the community to sort it out. I would have expected an HP employee to be on this straightaway.  And don't get me started on Microsoft!!!

No luck so far. As mentioned above around the end of March 2016 Start Menu did not work, Search the Web and Windows, and Edge browser would not respond. After rebooting per instructions above Start Menu and Edge came back, but still disappear intermittently.  Sometimes they reappear spontaneously. Until there is a fix I have worked around the missing fuctions as follows:

Edge browser - abandoned and went back to Chrome

Start access to Shut down - Right click on Start gives a Windows 7 type menu with Shut Down etc

Start access to Settings - Open Windows Explorer, click on "This PC" . "Open Settings" should be visible upper centre (can also right click on any vacant part of Desktop screen and choose "Display settigs".

It makes me embarrassed to have HP for my initials!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.