Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
dark vad17 vt & lucasfilm ltd

I have a notebook a friend whom isn't sure how to do a factory reset has asked me to do so however I do not own any newer HP models so I'm unsure how to do a reset on it. Now keep in mind I do know how to go into recovery to do so. But the notebook gets to the hp loading screen and stops just keeps on trying to load but doesnt go past that screen. Is there any hotkeys to bypass this and get into factory reset option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Slow boot times, crashes and now won't go past HP logo certainly sounds like the hard drive has failed. I would run the diagnostics on it and determine for sure. A new hard drive cost will depend on what size is in it and of course they will need Recovery Media from HP to install windows on it which is about $40.

If it has Windows 8.1 or 10-you can download a free copy from MS to install. If it has Windows 8 it is harder to get an iso...

When you are at the machine again get the Model/Product Number for it so we can look up the specs.Usually on a tag under the battery.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the notebook is pretty new and has W10 on it, see this link for the various ways to peform a factory reset.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

HP Recommended

Was the notebook booting into Windows at all? Have you tested the hard drive to be sure it has not failed? Immediately after powering on start tapping Esc key. This should bring up a menu where you can select/tap F2 for System Diagnostics to run tests.

HP Recommended

I'll look into the link you've nicely provided for me. I'm actually unsure what windows version is on the notebook. I'm sure its fairly new as they are trying to buy it from aarons. Thank You.

HP Recommended

CherylG, no. It went to the loading screen where HP logo is only showing the working ring but that's all it does and wont go further. Soon as I return at their home tomorrow I'll also look into doing this as well. I didn't want to work on it without talking to someone. I've written the info down, thank you as well.

HP Recommended

From my experiences with machines from Aaron's they are notorious for locking down the options to reset to factory. I suppose it is the tracking software they put on them in case of non-payment. I have worked on several of these for acquaintances and it usually required bootable media such a Recovery Media from manufacturer or a Windows dvd to boot from. Even after full payment the local one here does not remove this-nor even tell the customer it is on there.

HP Recommended

CherrylG, I do not trust aarons but my understanding is they are payed up on it. They haven't had to delay any payments and it worked for a good 1-2 months before these problems started acting up. Slow boot times, crashes etc. Now they refuse to do maintenance on the notebook and will not take it back unless it runs windows. The 90 day warranty expired. Now it freezes at the HP logo and she is asking to factory reset it. I told them I will not touch it till I do all my homework on it. Hence here I am. Thank you for you insight and knowledge.

HP Recommended

Slow boot times, crashes and now won't go past HP logo certainly sounds like the hard drive has failed. I would run the diagnostics on it and determine for sure. A new hard drive cost will depend on what size is in it and of course they will need Recovery Media from HP to install windows on it which is about $40.

If it has Windows 8.1 or 10-you can download a free copy from MS to install. If it has Windows 8 it is harder to get an iso...

When you are at the machine again get the Model/Product Number for it so we can look up the specs.Usually on a tag under the battery.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

HP Recommended

CherylG, model #: 15-AN044NR - Prod #T0D86VA#ABA

I haven't been able to make my way back over to them but today I'm leaving and will disscuss everything with them. And I am sorry for the long delay I only have 1 hand till the 1st as my other hand was shaddered. Thank you for your time.

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear about the hand and hoping for full recovery of it. From the info you gave I found the Specs page and software/drivers list which includes ordering Recovery Media.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/star-wars-special-edition-15-an000-notebook/9033381...

Maintenance Manual is here to help with replacing the hdd if needed:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04642845

I know they and you have a bit to do before deciding how to proceed, but wanted to get all the info on here. The good news is that it came with Windows 10 so even if you need to replace hdd you could use the free Iso from MS to install it rather than having to purchase Recovery Media. You would of course have to download drivers from the support page.

Good luck with that hand and your task with the laptop!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.