Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

I've already read something about this issue, but I'm writing a new topic because I'm in the worst trouble - the problem is connected with laptop, which I don't have myself, it's my father's computer who is 1500km away :HalfEyes:

It started from that he told me he had some problems with his HP Pavilion dv6000 - many banners, pop-ups and adware ads have been displaying all the time on the screen, so I connected with him via TeamViewer and installed Spybot S&D and AdAware Free and turned on the scannings. It found some issues, so I chose to delete it. After this my father restarted the laptop and suprisingly he got only black screen and the message: "Press ctrl+alt+delete to restart"; I told him to press, I suppose F2 or F12 and turn on the hard disk test - it finished with the result of "#10009 -  replace hard disk".

What could be the cause of this and why did it happen after using anty-malware software? I've read this is an bootsector problem. But now, how to deal with that? He doesn't have Win7 DVD and even Win7 on USB. What remote can I do to help him?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I couldn't tell you which HDD is installed without the specific part number or model number (not series). Unless it's older than 5 years old it's definitely SATA.

The HDD is bad, the test says so. Also, you can't really format it for him. He'll need to install the HDD then run the HP Recovery Media or Windows installation disc to install the software.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
The hard drive needs to be replaced and the software needs to be installed on the new hard drive (WIndows, drivers, software) using the HP Recovery Media.

There's not anything you could do remotely to remedy the problem.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer.

So, that means the hard drive is crashed? How it that possible it happened directly after using anty-malware software? Is it possible that some, let's say unfriendly malware/spyware program was installed somehwere on bootsector or on some important hard disk sector and deleting it by Spybot crashed the disk ?

And if I would really have to buy new hard disk - what about all the data gathered on the old one? Is that possible to 'rescue' the old one hard drive somehow just to save the files?

HP Recommended
Most of the time it's just coincidence. It's probably been bad or going bad for awhile now.

You could back up the old hard drive by taking it out and putting it in a hdd dock/cradle and connecting it to a working computer. You'd then be able to browse the folders on the hdd and copy what you want...assuming the hdd is not too far gone.
HP Recommended

So strange...

But for sure the disk needs to be replaced? How can I be sure it will help? Because if I'm sure, I'll order new hard drive, format it, install Windows 7 on the disc and send it to my father by post. But I don't want to buy a new hard drive if I'm not sure it's the solution.

EDIT:

One more question - this laptop has ATA ar SATA hard drive? Because I don't know what type od HDD to look for. In specification I saw SATA, but when my father get the HDD out of his dv6000 he said there are not place for SATA cable, only series of PINs like these ones:

HP Recommended
I couldn't tell you which HDD is installed without the specific part number or model number (not series). Unless it's older than 5 years old it's definitely SATA.

The HDD is bad, the test says so. Also, you can't really format it for him. He'll need to install the HDD then run the HP Recovery Media or Windows installation disc to install the software.
HP Recommended

Why couldn't I install it for him? It is not possible I buy new HDD, plug it into my PC and install Windows 7 from Windows DVD, configure everything and he will only put it into the laptop and just turn it on? What will be the problem, software, incompatible drivers?

HP Recommended

@iks11 wrote:

Why couldn't I install it for him? It is not possible I buy new HDD, plug it into my PC and install Windows 7 from Windows DVD, configure everything and he will only put it into the laptop and just turn it on? What will be the problem, software, incompatible drivers?

That's not how software works.  There are too many factors that will cause problems.  The only way I'd even recommend you do it would be if you had the exact same model.

HP Recommended

So you think buying exacly the same HDD model as now installed and installing Windows7 on it in another computer and then plugging it into the dv6000 will not cause problems?

HP Recommended
No, that's not what I said.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.