Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How can I get into BIOS and how can I re-dedicate graphics memory-use there?

(Maybe my other's post was too special...)

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

AFAIK, no such option in your BIOS setting.

Just enter your BIOS by pressing F10 while HP logo is displayed.

Please post your product number so that everybody can help you more.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
HP Recommended

Thanks for your "first step". I'll check that out.

I have a dv9787eg / KP964EA (European)...

HP Recommended

According to this site you have  512 MB dedicated video memory.

There no option in BIOS to set or to limit the video memory.

To check either the mobo has been replaced or not, Press Fn + Esc buttons and match the product number with HP sticker at the bottom of your notebook.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
HP Recommended

Indeed the BIOS doesn't allow changes (does not merely SHOW) of the graphic chard's settings.

And - yes, that 512MB is my starting point.

But on an hp-datasheet for my machine it is stated that beside the dedicated 512MB there are 1279MB of graphics memory "available" (all that translated from German). So how do I get there? Or does the machine just take that memory "when needed"? Still I am rather annoyed that my graphics performance dropped to heavily... And a first hint is seeing only 256MB of graphics memory when using GPUZ to see my graphic chip's properties.

Thanks, I will check the mobo - but I tend to trust the repair shop with their statement that they didn't change anything else than the chip (it would cost them - so I ruled that out).

But could they have damaged memory chips' electronic contacts that render half of them useless now?

HP Recommended

GPUZ or CPUZ have the capability to display the memory capacities.

If both software report 256MB of GPU memory then I'm pretty sure the mobo has been changed.

How to check?

"Press Fn + Esc buttons and match the product number with HP sticker at the bottom of your notebook."

Unless the computer store has access to HP DMI tool that may be used to change your product and serial numbers, the new mobo will have different product and serial numbers with sticker at the bottom of your notebook.

If the store damage the memory chip, the whole system would be unstable, you'll have BSOD when running applications that use full GPU memory.

______

HP Recommended

Thanks - I will re-check CPUZ and GPUZ (although I'm pretty sure both already said 256)... And I will check the mobo-# acc. your advice. Thanks for that... (As said, I doubt they changed the mobo - what would be their benefit???)

But what is BSOD? And - well - I don't know how much memory my flightsim and games use, but as those stutter now, I think, that's strong hint for full GPU memory usage (or what else would not let them run smoothly anymore?)...

Thanks for your help - and cross your fingers that I'll FINALLY get that ironed out......

HP Recommended

Hum - okay, pressing Fn+Esc showed me my system (didn't know that before). But I cannot find any info about my mobo in there!? I cannot find any mobo-# listed on the back of my notebook, either...

What DOES check out okay though is the machine's serial #s in Fn+Esc and the backside (and my paperwork)...

Then I was able to verify 256MB in CPUZ and GPUZ - no good.

Finally (and I had HIGH hopes with that) I fully deinstalled my 8600M's drivers, deleted my NVIDIA-folder from the C, letting the machine install some basic driver on re-start and then updating to the (relatively fresh) version 260.99 - all to no avail... Still 256 and stuttering...

IS there a possibility that the replacement graphics-chip I received is as faulty as my "old one" that has been re-soldered, too?

I'm totally lost!

HP Recommended

Match the product number with HP sticker at the bottom of your notebook.

It should KP964EA

The product number is embedded in BIOS chip of your mobo.

BSOD: Blue Screen Of Death, just use google to find more info.

Nope, reinstalling Nvidia wont help. If both CPUZ and GPUZ showing 256MB of GPU memory than positively you have 256MB not 512MB as written in HP spec.

dv9000 series motherboard with 512MB is more expensive compared to 256MB and rare to find.

______

HP Recommended

Okay, that means, that with the repair they exchanged the motherboard (although I'm pretty sure it read KP964EA - but I'll make sure if it REALLY does) from 512 to 256 because maybe they couldn't get a 512 or that one was "too expensive"?

Or can it be that my original mobo was damaged, so only 256MB of graphics remain? (That would go in-line with the shop's statement, that they left the mobo untouched...)

But many many thanks for getting me towards the right direction - I absolutely appreciate your help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.