Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Still having problems here... fingerprint option goes missing again eventually, and system restore sorts it again but only for a little while again.

Examining Device Manager for the Biometrics device, I get the following messages:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Device USB\VID_138A&PID_0050\5061375b2801 requires further installation.

Whilst I can get by fine without the fingerprint reader, I had begun to appreciate the convenience, so I'm still interested in finding a solution to this problem.

HP Recommended

Just for completeness then, suspecting a corruption of the registry, and having only one restore point to play with and even that didn't cure the problem for long), I resorted to a complete re-installation of Win10. I must make more restore points! Everything now back to normal.

HP Recommended

@Andy_Kay

Finally fixed, then.  Cool.  :generic:

I am obsessed with Restore Points.  Smiling.

How-to:

Create a Restore Point: System Restore XP OR System Restore W7 OR System Restore W8-W10

Stop all programs:  Browsers, games, Applications, etc.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point

========================================================

If you create a lot of Points, be aware that the space requried can add up.

Check on occasion...

Good Reference:

How to Do a System Restore of Windows 10

Happy Computing!

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help DF. I'm a wiser man now. Don't know how my registry got corrupted but there were other symptoms that should have given the game away (like Windows Updates failing). Feels nice and clean to have a new OS though!

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem on my HP Envy dv7t Quad Laptop after recently installing Windows 10 Creators update. I believe the W10 Creators update edition has its own fingerprint sign-in software (for PCs using a fingerprint sensor) which conflicts with the original HP Simple Pass software. To solve the problem, I opened the Programs application and permanently uninstalled the HP Simple Pass program software...but, I kept (did not uninstall) the Validity Sensors program software. After rebooting/restarting the HP Laptop, I signed in using my personal password. Then, I opened Settings --> Accounts --> Sign-in options (next to the Key icon) --> Windows Hello --> Fingerprint (Add options). I followed the prompts to create a (new) fingerprint. I had to slide my sign-in finger across the sensor several times until the software was satisfactorily (re)programmed.

The W10 Creators update fingerprint sign-in software works much better than did the original HP Simple Pass software on my HP Laptop. (And, I did not have to open the Bios settings to do this.) I hope what solved my problem will solve yours too. Good luck.

HP Recommended

To 1mcrtd.

I have not yet been notified of the Windows10 Creators update, so I will await notification and return to your message after the update.

Thank you for letting me know about this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.