11-23-2011 03:36 AM - edited 11-23-2011 03:39 AM
I have hp pavilion dv6 with windows 7 64-bit OS. While scanning with Symantec Endpoint Protection, the following files are shown at %windows% - 9129837.exe , hide_evr2.sys and at %windows%syswow64 - virusremoval.vbs , ntos.exe
How to remove these rootkits?
I have restored factory settings after repartitioning but they are still there.
Are they resident in firmware in NIC?
11-23-2011 08:02 AM
I would first try scanning the system in Safe-mode with the latest Rapid Release definitions.
If that fails to detect and remove this threat, there are some useful tools that are provided by Symantec for help with finding these hard to detect threats.
1. The Power Eraser Tool eliminates deeply embedded and difficult to remove threats that traditional virus scanning doesn't always detect.
2. The SERT (Symantec Endpoint Recovery Tool) is useful in situations where computers are too heavily infected for the Symantec Endpoint Protection client installed upon them to clean effectively.
3. The Load point Analysis Tool generates a detailed report of the programs loaded on your system. It is helpful in listing common loadpoints where threats can live.
Rapid Release Virus Definitions –
Power Eraser tool –
How To Use the Symantec Endpoint Recovery Tool with the Latest Virus Definitions –http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag
Support Tool with Power Eraser Tool included –
How to use the Load Point Analysis within the Symantec Support Tool to help locate suspicious files http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag
If you are unable to remove the threat(s) from your systems, please submit the suspected files to Symantec for analysis. New signatures will be created and included in future definition sets for detection.
- HP PCs Forgot the Sign-in Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Recovering or Reinstalling the Operating System (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)