Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

While I dont like Ubuntu, it is pretty much a robust OS.

I cant specifically help you as I only have Debian and Opensuse (alongside W10) on here, but things I would try.

I would consider using a distro to view the Ubuntu partition, with the aim to install over Ubuntu using OpenSuse Leap 42.1.

The error seems to be in the GRUB boot loader and it is too tricky for me to talk you through.  Windows 10 does not shut down cleanly when the fast start option is used, and it seems to be the default. 

Now if you cant get into W10 you could try a W10 DVD/USB from microsoft to repair the boot area, or perhaps a Win 7.

FIXBOOT

FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /SCANOS

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

There is no need at this stage to lose your data.

So boot with Windows 7 or 10 and dont install try a repair first.

Boot with OpenSuse and overwrite Ubuntu

Use Gparted in Ubuntu to "fix the NTFS" partition.  (IT is write protected because to enable a fast start the disk is suspended rather than shutdown and there are pending jobs that get done on restart.)  Gparted scans and cleans and allows mounting in linux, BUT BUT BUT it is not perfect, I have done it and had success, BUT it is not guaranteed.

Try and modify Grub and add Windows as an option.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Hi

I suggest using a Live version of Linux, like Ubuntu or Knoppix.

Gparted.png

Then find, download Gparted, and look at the partition table.

Mine started as a factory fresh install with 4 partitions, C:, 2 recovery and an efi boot.  Using a live copy of Gparted I shrank/resized the C partition to 350 gig, made a Storage Area of 350 gig and made it NTFS.  With remainder I created a swap, root and home for Leap and a / for Debian.

You do need to set Windows to avoid fast booting if you can.

If in doubt please ask.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.