Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Other

Hi All

I am using HP Pavilion dv6 laptop and have gone through very weird issues recently. Let me explain the situation. Hope you can help me.

1. I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. After upgrade I started finding some issues with Windows 10. Since my laptop is out of warranty period and my laptop is not tested for Windows 10 I get support neither from HP nor from Microsoft. Microsoft chat services helped me a bit but not useful. So I decided to recover my Windows 7.
  2. I have recovered my Windows 7 installed all updates and latest drivers using HP assistant. Then I have got notification to upgrade to Windows 10. Again I was pushed my self to upgrade and try the luck.
  3. I have upgraded to Windows 10 for the second time successfully and it was better than before. Suddenly I found that it is taking hours to shut down and stuck with black screen. I thought it could be an issue with Windows 10 and tried to restore Windows 10. It has installed freshly again.
  4. This time my laptop cooling fan started making loud noise. It is very annoying and I could not sit infront of laptop. I thought it will get setright by default in few days but its not. As usually, I accounted this issue under Windows 10. I could not recover my Windows 7 this time. So I thought it will be better to install another OS just to confirm whether it is due to Windows 10 or not.
  5. I have downloaded and installed Ubuntu 14.04 version on my laptop. To install I have emptied one partition and installed in it. During installation seems to be something has gone wrong and it has changed Windows boot manager. After first restart I was not able to login into my Windows 10 OS. I tried recover options etc. I got error saying that "disk is write protected".
  6. After all the lessons I learnt I decided to keep calm and continue with working OS i.e. Ubuntu 14.04. On Ubuntu I did not find any issues with cooling fan etc. It is working perfectly fine. I agree that Ubuntu is good OS but I still look forward to recover my Windows 7 or to have Windows 10 beside Ubuntu. I tried to install Windows 10 using DVD but it is not detecting the hard disk now.

Can anyone help me with how I can install Windows 10 on my laptop considering its situation?

Thanks

Sasidhar Gupta

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi mate its the file system linux use it's a ext2 if you boot ubuntu off the cd and use a disk format tool like GPart or use command line root@localhost: fdisk /help. Gives a whole list of parameter you can use to format drive if you don't know hot to use GPart as i included it's GUI based formatting tool. If this helped you i'm sure you can drop a kudos point to show some support. Thanks

U.Khan
HP Recommended

Hi mate its the file system linux use it's a ext2 if you boot ubuntu off the cd and use a disk format tool like GPart or use command line fdisk /help. Gives a whole list of parameter you can use to format drive if you don't know hot to use GPart as i included it's GUI based formatting tool. If this helped you i'm sure you can drop a kudos point to show some support. Thanks

U.Khan
HP Recommended

Hi

I don't want to format my disk partition (C: ) where Windows was installed initially. I have lot of my personal data there. Is there any otherway?

Thanks

Sasidhar Gupta

HP Recommended

I'm not saying to format your whole drive just format that partition into fat32 leave it like that boot into windows use their disk format tool and right click on that partition you just formated to fat32 delete that and right click on your windows partition click on extend you've just removed the partition.

U.Khan
HP Recommended

Hi

My data is in partition C: and ubuntu is on 😧 where again I have made two internal partitions one for swap memory and the other for OS system files while installing Ubuntu on 😧 .

I can't format my C: partition since my data is there. Is there a tool in Ubuntu for shrink volume as in Windows? So I can generate a new partition and try formatting that part.

Thanks

Sasidhar Gupta

HP Recommended

so do you want more space on C:\ drive or do you want to delete the D:\ drive 

U.Khan
HP Recommended

you don't need to format the c drive what do you want to keep windows and ubuntu or just windows can you explain abit more better please.

U.Khan
HP Recommended
Hi

Currently my laptop is running on Ubuntu only. There's no Windows as explained initially. Please help me to install windows alongside Ubuntu.

Thanks
Sasidhar Gupta
HP Recommended

you need to partition the linux partition then configure the grub bootloader to detect windows partition.

U.Khan
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.