Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Presario C700
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

OK please bare with me.

I have a Laptop from my Bro-in-law. It is full of spyware, and crap, slow as hell, I want to do a factory reset.

Heres what I have done so far - and my problems.

Laptop = HP Compaq Presario C700 t

OS = Windows 7 Ultimate OEM installation

The Product Key sticker is gone.

Magic Jelly Bean (3rd party software) recovered a key - BUT - my Windows 7 Ultiimate is OEM

I spoke to microsoft over telephone - the laptop is legit and I have the key. They said OEM keys won't work with retail Windows 7 copies so I can't even download a new image (iso) and use my key - My key wouldnt register on microsoft downloads either.

The laptop has a recovery partition - but it isn't what I wqas hoping for. You can restore it to an earlier time (no good), or you can re-install if you have a repair CD or copy of Windows 7 on disk

i made a repair CD. It is only for start-up problems e.g. if your laptop crashes / locks up and you cant boot windows.

Start / Control Panel / has restore and recovery but at this point I am going in circles. NO full re-install or restore to ORIGINAl or FACTORY settings. All it is is the same as what is put on the Repair CD

Restoring to an earlier time? well the earlest time on there was still a pretty bad situation, so when I did it I had basically undone all of the cleaning=up I had done so far - 1 step forward 5 steps backward

I am trying an unofficial download of a Windows 7 Ultimate ISO but I know I will run into the key entering stage and then be stuck

There is a guide for a similar model - the closest I could find - that shows holding F11 during boot up and opening a recovery menu. I did that and it was different on my model. What it brought up was just another method of Restoring to an earlier date

I have exhausted every option from within Windows 7. I am told by microsoft and other advisors that my manufacturer should provide me with a recovery disc - for reinstallation. NO JOY! HP is all automated and there is no direct contact to sort it out properly (so here I am) They don't provide this sort of service

It is an OEM installation (original equipment manufacturer) so there is legal issues with the licensing of this copy - I havent had this before, but I believe the difference between retail and OEM Windows versions is NONE in terms of functionality and general use, 'but' The copy of Windows can only run on one machine or something so theyre quite strict with it.

I am not doing anything wrong, The laptop was bought new a few years back, my bro in law has given it to me as he couldnt even use it anymore due to the state it is in with its software, so I want to clean it up, and reinstall / restore it to factory settings as it was when it was new.

I have done this before with a Toshiba that had a recovery partition installed to the HDD but it was a FULL re-install partition - not jut a restore to earler date / start-up repair tool like this one has.

I would normally install Linux as I use it a lot anyway, but I want this Laptop to have Windows 7 Ultimate as it was supposed to as I like to have a Windows machine for alternative software and features, then partition a small section of the HDD to run my Linux OS.

Please Help. My OEM Key is NO good for new downloads of Windows 7 and I have no recovery settings installed for a FULL re-install / restore to factory settings!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

HP never sold a C700 with Windows 7 Ultimate. That was a Vista machine probably Windows Vista Home Premium or even Basic. The recovery partition (F11) will restore the laptop to original factory, stock out-of-the box condition if it is still working. 

HP Recommended

FYI: The Compaq Presario C700t Notebook computer in your possesion, had Windows Vista 32bit installed at the factory. Please Compaq Presario C700T CTO Notebook PC - Software and drivers for original factory Vista drivers. Please see HP G7000 Notebook PC and Compaq Presario C700 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide for the complete specification of the C700 series, including a print date of 2007 which predates Windows 7. Please see ComputerSurgeons.com - C700t product matches for possible recovery media that will return the computer to a Windows Vista factory like state.

Even if the COA was legible, it would be of no use for Windows 7 as the computer was supplied with Vista. When someone installed Windows 7, it most likely broke the ability to create HP Recovery Media and access to the Recovery partition. HP provided a way to create the Recovery Media you require, but someone installed Windows 7 over the factory installation... thereby disrupting the ability to do so.

Since you have the Windows 7 Ultimate OEM key, all you have to do is install Windows 7 Ultimate and enter the key after the installation is complete (do not enter the key during the installation phase). Windows will activate just fine at this time. YES, you can use a retail copy of Windows 7 for this purpose... it will work just fine. YES you can borrow someone's Windows 7 Ultimate disc to do this. Can't find a Windows 7 Ultimat disc??? Try borrowing any Windows 7 disc, create an ISO of the disc, and use the "ei.cfg Removal Utility" to remove the ei.cfg from the Windows 7 ISO disc image. The image becomes "universal", so that it will prompt the user to select an edition during setup. Now, create a bootable USB or DVD from the modified ISO using the Windows USB/DVD Tool or any of the many other tools out there.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.