Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 4540s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have all the discs HP provided when I purchased the laptop.  When I replaced the hard drive I was able to reinstall the Windows 7 Professional.  However, I am not able to get internet connections.  It seems the system does not recognize any drivers available.

Are these drivers on my discs?  If so, where?

Thanks plenty for your time and Merry Holidays ahead to you as well!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello  macromic,

Greetings !!

I hope you have 2 Discs one with OS and other with Drivers. If you are having difficuly loading drivers using the Discs, you may downlaod all the required drivers for your PC from this link :

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5229456&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4059

Use a PC which has Internet access, download Just the Ethernet Driver to the USB stick. Install the same on the 4540s Probook.

Make sure it gets Internet access. One its gets access to internet, go the above link and downlaod all the drivers directly to the PC and install.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello  macromic,

Greetings !!

I hope you have 2 Discs one with OS and other with Drivers. If you are having difficuly loading drivers using the Discs, you may downlaod all the required drivers for your PC from this link :

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5229456&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4059

Use a PC which has Internet access, download Just the Ethernet Driver to the USB stick. Install the same on the 4540s Probook.

Make sure it gets Internet access. One its gets access to internet, go the above link and downlaod all the drivers directly to the PC and install.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I actually received 4 discs but 2 of them are clearly associated with Windows 8 if I ever wanted it.  I opted for 7 and definitely recall the "Windows 7 Professional" on my screen before it crashed a couple weeks back.

Regarding the other 2 discs:

(1) Application and Driver Recovery DVD: Contains software and drivers already installed.  For Software and reinstallation and repair only.  This disc contains software for Microsoft Windows 7.

(2) Operating System DVD Windows 7 Professional SP1: Contains software and drivers already installed.  For software reinstallation and repair only.

On reinstallation on my new hard drive I only used the (2) disc because of its association with the Professional version ..... for whatever that might be valued, lol. 

Am I supposed to somehow now download other information (e.g., drivers) from the (1) disc?  If so, could you be a little specific about how I would go about doing that.  (When I put the (1) disc in the optical drive it seems to want to go in a mode to overwrite my previous download and ????? download a ????non-Professional???? version of Windows.)  Honestly I'm just not at all aware of the sequence of software downloading in this case.

Thanks for your help on this!

HP Recommended

GBL, your first line in your reply made it pretty clear I needed to go through both setup options on the two discs.  Once I did that everything started falling in place.  I've now got my computer with a new hard drive, the OS reinstalled, and once again connected to the internet.  Just need to now reupload all of the other apps ....... and then comes the real trouble ....... trying to decipher my old hard disc.

My old hard disc's sectors were all rated as healthy but the main one was also classified as "RAW".  Apparently there's some software that's useful in converting RAW sectors to NTFS sectors.  In any event I'm likely going to try that a bit during the holiday break ahead.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays ahead!

Macromic

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.