Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've been experiencing this problem since yesterday. The computer was running slow and suddenly a blue screen with ":(" showed up. There was a progress of error data being completed. I waited until it got to 100% and I expected it to restart afterwards, as it was written. It didn't. so I held down the power button to restart manually. The next time computer was booting up, it said "Preparing Windows" I couldn't do anything but wait until it was done preparing it. Once logged into my account, I noticed that everything on my desktop was gone. All my settings gone. apps and personal files were not deleted, but they werent on the start screen, or desktop. I had to find them all, and put them back where they had to be. I turned off my computer, and today I realized that upon starting up, Windows tried to Prepare itself again. The same things happened. everything's dissappeared. I dont know what should I do. Any ideas?

I run Windows 8 Enterprise 64bit on HP dv7, 1070ee.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thanks for your quick reply 🙂

I ran the tests on the Primary Hard Drive and Memory, both passed 100% successfully. Luckily!

I created another administrator account, and then signed out of the original account I was already logged on to. I realized that the infamous "Preparing Windows" does not show up while the new account is loading. That was a good sign. So I removed the first account I had. Kept personal files of course! Made some changes in the appearance of the windows. Rebooted. everything was in place!

So, I guess the problem was with the first account I was using. I don't know what was it though. Now everything's fine.

Thanks for the help 🙂
K

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( f10 ) and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thanks for your quick reply 🙂

I ran the tests on the Primary Hard Drive and Memory, both passed 100% successfully. Luckily!

I created another administrator account, and then signed out of the original account I was already logged on to. I realized that the infamous "Preparing Windows" does not show up while the new account is loading. That was a good sign. So I removed the first account I had. Kept personal files of course! Made some changes in the appearance of the windows. Rebooted. everything was in place!

So, I guess the problem was with the first account I was using. I don't know what was it though. Now everything's fine.

Thanks for the help 🙂
K
HP Recommended

sir i also have the same problem every time i start my pc ( desktop pc) it says preparing windows and i have lost all my data also it says u have logged in with a temporary profile 

HP Recommended

pls help me when i start the pc i see alway preparing window

HP Recommended

I also Have a same problem What was the solution For That Please help Me

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.