10-17-2011 10:50 AM
I am attemping to restore a Compaq Presario, Windows 7 OP and am receiving this error message: "recovery manager cannot run from the hard drive" I am using the recovery disks yet I still get this message. I tried to change the boot order under the BIOS but it didn't help. I had performed a hard disk test and it says I have no hard disk or something like that. Could the hard drive be burned out or something? I'd like to restore this computer using the disks if possible before sending the computer in to the shop for a replacement hard drive. Thanks in advance.
10-17-2011 01:39 PM
Sounds like the hard drive has failed, you can run a test to confirm this, if the hard drive fails the test you will need a new hard drive, then reinstall using the discs you made.
Test the hard drive:
10-21-2011 11:11 AM
I was afraid of that. It's dead. I've had this laptop less than 2 years. How can it die so quickly? I have heard about external fans you can use to cool the computer when using it. Do these help extend the life of the hard drive?
10-21-2011 01:28 PM
Hard drives vary on how long they last, I have had brand new ones I ordered arrive doa, and others over 10 years old and still running.
Extra cooling never hurts.
- HP PCs Forgot the Sign-in Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Recovering or Reinstalling the Operating System (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)