Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
dv7-6b57nr
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

have factory restore discs - started recovery to factory settings- Disc 1,2,3 all worked well however when it started to reload the software I got the message recovery has failed ???  (have 2 sets of discs - same on #2) -  The hard drive or the optical reader are the next suspects but they have worked well for a long time ???  Any thoughts anybody ???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The guys who sells the recovery discs gave me the seagatedos source to burn the boot disc and check the hard drive. I checked one of my machines and it came up with the hard drive description to check it. Then I checked like I said and there were the 4 hard drives that error message but they are pulls from used  units yet they  work ?? Anyhow i bought a NEW drive to put in this machine to see if i can recover W7 and see if the seagate dos recognizes the new purchase as soon as it arrives---------  -

I think I told you that I made a boot disc ---w7 started then to the language screen and then displayed load drivers missing-------thanks

p .s. want to give an opinion on my other post - the pulsing display - display on shuts down to startup --comes back on--starts all over again

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The hard drive would probably be my first suspect. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

A free alternative you might want to try. If you can read the 25 character Microsoft Windows 7 license key on COA label attached to bottom of laptop, you can download a Windows 7 ISO file to burn to a DVD or USB flash drive.

You can use the Windows 7 USB/DVD installation tool to convert the ISO file you download. Link and instructions below. You need a  DVD+R or DVD -R . Or a 4 GB flash drive to use the USB method. 

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbP​age.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool#installation

Use the 25 character key on the COA to activate the installation. 

Next go to your support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Disc recovery failed with different hard drive, optical reader --- Downloaded the ISO (took awhile) and then loaded it into the MS tool installer and  put it on a flash drive and it looked like I was going to install W7 ---didnt work --opened the first page. didnt ask for a coa, and was looking for a driver to open w7 -  guess i got something wrong

It took a couple of hrs to get the iso file and then it wanted to know what created this --confusing

HP Recommended

retried - put the ISO on the USB - machine says missing load driver --guess I'll DL another ISO

REPEATED NEW ISO DOWNLOAD OPENED BY MS DL TOOL AND PUT ON A USB -  NO LUCK -OPENS 1ST PAGE OF WINDOWS ASKING FOR ENGLISH SELECT, THEN LOOKS FOR LOAD DRIVER BUT ITS NOT FOUND? WOULD IT BE SAFE TO SAY THAT THIS OPERATING SYSTEM IS CORRUPT?

HP Recommended

Are you saying that no hard drive shows up  as available to install Windows on? Create a UEFI USB from your ISO using Rufus:

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windo...

Still no joy? Solution 2 on the page may explain how to overcome it.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/hard-disk-not-detected.html

Extract the A-series Raid driver from the AMD package and put it on another usb drive or burn it to cd. I would probably put the AHCI driver on there too. I am guessing here as well because I have never really had this problem when installing on an AMD chipset machine. Intel machine I have run into it.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy4&os=Windows%207%20-%2064

HP Recommended

I've got to tell u what I did so far -sometimes my  ability is limited as my understanding has frustration and I want to make sure I am heading in the right direction and not wasting our time

1. boot option using the usb with the ISO

2.screen says starting windows

3. select install  windows

4 install now

5.Setup is starting

6. Select driver

------------No device drivers found

saved the amd on a usb - didnt work

I could not pull in the A series out of the package to get it on its own ?

Nor the ahcl neither ?

Rufus -dont know where firmware settings are changed ?

HP Recommended

CREATED SEATOOLS ISO TO BOOT MACHINE AND CHECK HARD DRIVE - GUESS WHAT - NO HARD DRIVE FOUND - YIKES  - CHECKED ALL THE HARD DRIVE CONNECTOR CABLES -SUBSTITUTED -NO LUCK- IT SAID CHECK JUMPER SETTINGS ?

HP Recommended

I return to my first reply and repeat- The hard drive was/is my first suspect. The hdd has apparently failed and needs to be replaced.

HP Recommended

THANKS BUT I THINK YOU MISUNDERSTOOD - AWHILE BACK YOU GAVE ME A GETINTOPIC TO MAKE AN ISO WHICHI TOLD YOU THAT LOAD DRIVERS WERE NOT FOUND IN RECOVERY PROCESS----------------USING THIS SEAGATE TOOLS FOR DOS BURNED TO A BOOT DISC SAYS NO HARD DRIVE FOUND -----CHECK CABLES.ETC-----  I TRIED 4 DIFFERENT DRIVES

HP Recommended

If you have tried 4 known good hard drives and are getting the error it seems to point to bad SATA controller on motherboard,imo. Maybe someone else has other thoughts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.