Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

envy m7 continuosly downloads 1607 and fails to install . what is the fix. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@fishboy3179

The Anniversary Update (AU) is a whole NEW version of Win10. The previous was 10586; this is 14393 -- and the community Win10 forums are awash with folks whose machines, which had previously been running Win10 without problems, SUDDENLY developed problems either trying to install this Update, or after installing this Update.

My desktop has been running Win10 without problems since the earliest days of the Insider Preview over a year ago and it's sailed through Update after Update without problems. So, you can imagine my surprise when the AU trashed my PC -- to the degree that I restored it from an image backup.

I, too, tried the Upgrade using Windows Update, and like with the original Upgrade, it has proven to be the least reliable way to do it. So, I used a different way -- that worked!

Understand, though, that ANY upgrade runs the risk of trashing your PC (as it did mine), and there is no guarantee in advance that it will even work, when done!

Before doing this, to be SAFE, I strongly recommend that you do an image backup of your PC to a large USB stick or external drive BEFORE you attempt this Update:

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Regarding applying the AU, what worked for me, and many others as well, is the following:
1) Use this MS link to download and create Win10 install media: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10
2) Insert that media in your PC while Win10 is running -- do NOT boot from it!
3) Open the drive containing the media, right-click on setup.exe and run it

This will start the Update -- which can take 45 minutes or more.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.