Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavillion g6
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

i cant wipe my recovery on my laptop I want to sell it how do I do it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

There are none of your personal files on the recovery partition, because any change to the recovery areas negates them immediately.

If you have done factory fresh install (recovery re-install) the only things that could be on there of yours is the login name and password if you created one.  Assuming you haven't logged in and used the internet etc.

So has that re-assured you?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

Something like BleachBit or Darens Boot and Nuke may help.

HP Recommended

what are they?

HP Recommended

also it doesn't wipe windows does it? just files that are in the recovery hard drive?

HP Recommended

Hi

I find my search engine DuckDuckGo helps me find the explanation of these kind of things.

However the recovery partition is probably the most valuable partition on there, both in terms of money and peace of mind.

Without it the laptop is worth very little.

HP Recommended

@billy_r1 wrote:

i cant wipe my recovery on my laptop I want to sell it how do I do it.

Why don't you spend a little to buy the HP REcovery disk and use that to wipe it clean to Factory install so whom you sell it to can use it. Otherwise without a Validated O/S no one will buy your computer if they expect it to work or verify what they buy works. That way they have the Recovery disk and a working computer so they can't say it wasn't working when they bought it.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

if i was to leave the recovery on there it would be safe and there isnt any of my personal files on their?

HP Recommended

Hi

There are none of your personal files on the recovery partition, because any change to the recovery areas negates them immediately.

If you have done factory fresh install (recovery re-install) the only things that could be on there of yours is the login name and password if you created one.  Assuming you haven't logged in and used the internet etc.

So has that re-assured you?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.