Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Compaq Presario CQ57.  I am not able to scroll down in any kind of text documents or in Windows Explorer or any kind of pulldown menus.  When I try to scroll down, it just keeps scrolling back up on its own.  It happens with arrow keys, touchpad, and my mouse.  How do I solve this problem?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Try hard resetting the computer. Maybe a power issue you are running into.

To Perform A Hard Reset

Shut down the computer by going to the Start menu and selecting shut down. (If you have no display, hold the power button down for 5 seconds)
Disconnect the AC Adapter from the notebook.
Remove the battery from the bottom of the notebook. There will be a switch/button to eject the battery.
Wait at least 1 minute with all power sources disconnected.
Re-insert the battery and reconnect the AC Adapter and then attempt to power on the notebook.

Let me know if this helps. If not post back with any new details and we can go from there.

Best of luck!

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

the same thing is happening with my presario as well. i did hard reset as stated above but the issue keeps coming back.

HP Recommended

Hi eulida,

I have noticed your post about your computer scrolling up and also noted you have tried a hard reset. I would like to help you the best I can, could you please respond with the following information and I will look further into this issue for you?

Your model/product number

Which Operating System you are running

Thank you,

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi rainbow 7000. it's a really old model, 2006 model v3000 if i remember i right. ive never had serious issues with in the past years (it's a hand-me-down from dad) except that now, it keeps on scrolling up in every single window. used to be a rare situation so i ignored it as it was tolerable. but not anymore. i can simply do nothing with the laptop bec i cant select the icon i wanna open. also, when you open it, it would produce a sound like it's drilling something (i dunno how to describe it haha) dad bought an cq57 a year or 2 ago and it he's having the same problem (although not as bad as mine now) there are times that it kees scrolling as well.

HP Recommended

Hello eulida,

Thanks for you response.

I have researched this issue, although uncommon, I have found a troubleshooting document that I would recommend you follow to try to fix the scrolling issue. If this document does not fix the problem, I will then recommend calling HP's Technical Support to see if there are any other options for you.

Please click on the following link: *Note the headline is not your specific issue but the troubleshooting is the same.

Troubleshooting Screen Issues

HP Contact Information

Good luck to you!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my HP Desktop.   I have had three "experts" looking at my computer and no one seems to find the problem.  I don't know if it is a driver or port issue.

HP Recommended

I just wanted to reply to this, even though it was some time ago the response was posted but thanks Sean, it worked for me.  I have an ASUS and it just started with me today, but after shutting down the laptop and taking out the receiver, I wasn't going to bother with the battery but thought what the hell since it was off anyways, and it fixed the problem for me.

So thanks very much for your advice, greatly appreciated

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.