Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

It states i have a HP update when i click on updates it goes through the checking & when it gets too preparing the action list it has been running for 30 minutes & still running is this normal  to take this long to prepare the action list.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @fran77kel,

I thank you for responding quickly. Do not update it through HP support assistant. I will send you a link to update the bios. Please visit the link: http://hp.com/drivers Please follow the on-screen instructions and update the bios. I hope it pans out well. Trust me, I have done a lot of research and a lot of efforts have gone into this to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up"button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Please keep me posted as to how things went.

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @fran77kel,

Good Day! Thanks for reaching out!! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I understand that the. It will be a delight to assist you. Smiley Happy

I reviewed the post and understand that HP or windows updates take  over 30 minutes to complete and still keep running.  It is quite normal.

You’ve been  great diagnosing the issue from your end and kudos to you for that.  You are a valued HP customer and it is a genuine pleasure to assist you here.

Please wait for another hour. If it still gets stuck on the same screen, then please manually power down the unit and perform a hard reset.

Link 1 for Notebooks: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768 for hard reset.

Link 2: for Desktops: http://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c01463028

If this does not work, I would require more information regarding this. I would require the computer’s  complete model# and operating system to assist you better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer,but i can not get started with the update as i click on check for updates & then a screen appears

showing (1) DOWNLOADLOADING  MESSAGES  (2)GATHERING CONFIGURATION (3)ANALYZING YOUR SYSTEM (4)PREPARING THE ACTION LIST the first three run & clear but the fourth one PREPARING THE ACTION LIST just keeps running so unable to get the up dates, i have downloaded HP updates before with out any bother.

HP Recommended

Hi @fran77kel.

I r read your awesome post. For better clarity, please let me know the complete model# and operating system of the computer to assist you better. Are these updates HP updates or Microsoft windows updates?

For now, if the issue started recently and assuming that your computer's operating system is either Windows8 or Wndows10, you could simply do a system restore to a good known working  date before the issue occurred. Please visit this link for performing the system restore: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

Please follow the option "Restore your computer when Windows cannot start normally" from the link to take it back earlier in time when the PC worked well. Then try performing these updates again.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please keep me posted

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up"button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply please find the details that you required (1)HP Pavilion 15 PC (2)Serial number 5CD4336FLD

(3)Product Number J5B67EA#ABU (4) I am tyring to update a HP update (5) operating system Microsoft Windows 10

HP Recommended

HI @fran77kel,

I read your post and thank you for it. I have the required information. Please do not share the serial# of the computer on a public post. You could just share the product/3 and model# of the unit only, which you've already done.

• Did you perform a system restore from the previous link?
  • If you have, what happened after performing a system restore?
  • Is the computer up and running?
  • Could you please send me a screenshot of what's exactly happening on your computer for better clarity?

You could upload an image to know what's happening to assist you better. Please keep me informed.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No i am no able to do a system re store because when i prees the F11 KEY nothing happens.

HP Recommended

Hi @fran77kel,

I read your post and reviewed it. I request you tp perform these steps.

Please perform a hard reset first by following these steps:

• Power down the computer and unplug the charger. Then remove the battery only if it is a removable one.
  • Hold down the power button of the unit for 15 seconds to discharge static electrical charges inside the machine.
  • Replace the battery and reconnect the charger. 
  • Then first keep tapping the "ESC" key gently several times and then power on the computer. continue tapping the "ESC" gently as you power on the computer. 
  • It will bring up the startup menu with different options on it.
  • Now one of the options will be  to press the F11 key to get into the recovery manager.
  • Once you are in recovery manager, please follow the link from the previous post to perform a system restore.
  • Please let me know what updates are being installed? Are they windows updates or HP updates>
  • Please capture an image on your cell phone and upload it so that I can assist you better.

Please visit this link for performing the system restore: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

Please follow the option "Restore your computer when Windows cannot start normally" from the link to take it back earlier in time when the PC worked well. 

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your email before i follow your last instructions i thought i had better check with you as you say click onto

WHEN WINDOWS CANNOT START NORMALLY as windows starts ok, it is just the HP updates that will not update.

HP Recommended

Hi @fran77kel,

I read your post and thanks for replying. 🙂

Please perform these steps and let me know how this goes. What HP update are you trying to install?

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.