Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-f111dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop originally came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled (purchased in 2014). Last year, I did the free upgrade to Windows 10. I also made the original OS HP Recovery discs for the Win 8.1 system that came with my laptop, and I made the Windows 10 upgrade recovery USB.

My question:  I am considering doing a Windows 10 "clean install" as I don't believe I necessarily need ALL of the preloaded software that HP initially installed on my computer, which obviously remained after I did the Win 10 upgrade. However, my question is if I do a clean install, I'm aware that NONE of the original HP software and drivers (including the HP Support Assistant that helps with any software/driver updates) would be installed.

I have concerns about not getting updated drivers if I did a clean install.  I also assume that there is no possible way to later install SOME of the software that came with my original install, like the DVD burning software (CyberLink), the Foxit Phantom PDF program, etc.

Can anyone shed some light on this, particularly if you did a clean install of Win 10? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there @jrobbie82, 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great site to get answers and ask questions. I read your post on the HP Support Forums and I understand that you are wanting to do a Windows 10 clean install.

You had said "My question:  I am considering doing a Windows 10 "clean install" as I don't believe I necessarily need ALL of the preloaded software that HP initially installed on my computer, which obviously remained after I did the Win 10 upgrade. However, my question is if I do a clean install, I'm aware that NONE of the original HP software and drivers (including the HP Support Assistant that helps with any software/driver updates) would be installed"

Here is what I found for you. The rest is at your own discretion: 

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant.

Here is your HP Notebook - 15-f111dx (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads page. You will see that there are downloads under Windows 10 for: 

• Cyberlink Youcam Software
  • Cyberlink PhotoDirector Software
  • Cyberlink PowerDirector Software
  • Cyberlink Power Media Player Software

Plus drivers for: 

• Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver
  • AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver
  • Synaptics Touchpad Driver
  • Alps Touchpad Driver
  • Realtek RTL8723BE/RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Drivers
  • Realtek RTL8723BE Bluetooth Driver
  • Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver
  • Realtek Card Reader Driver
  • HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors)

And Firmware for: 

• Hitachi Hard Drive Firmware Update

Here is some information for you to read before hand

"To verify that you have a genuine copy of Windows 10 that has not been used on more devices than the license agreement calls for, your Windows 10 needs to be activated. Depending on where you acquired your copy of Windows 10, activation will occur using either a digital entitlement or a 25-character product key.

See HP support document Windows 10 Product Activation for more information about activating Windows 10."

Source: Installing Windows 10

Please read the documentation provided thoroughly. 

I hope that this has answered your questions and provided you with the information you were seeking. If so, please share with others by marking the appropriate post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below. 

Thank you! 

Have a wonderful day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there @jrobbie82, 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great site to get answers and ask questions. I read your post on the HP Support Forums and I understand that you are wanting to do a Windows 10 clean install.

You had said "My question:  I am considering doing a Windows 10 "clean install" as I don't believe I necessarily need ALL of the preloaded software that HP initially installed on my computer, which obviously remained after I did the Win 10 upgrade. However, my question is if I do a clean install, I'm aware that NONE of the original HP software and drivers (including the HP Support Assistant that helps with any software/driver updates) would be installed"

Here is what I found for you. The rest is at your own discretion: 

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant.

Here is your HP Notebook - 15-f111dx (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads page. You will see that there are downloads under Windows 10 for: 

• Cyberlink Youcam Software
  • Cyberlink PhotoDirector Software
  • Cyberlink PowerDirector Software
  • Cyberlink Power Media Player Software

Plus drivers for: 

• Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver
  • AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver
  • Synaptics Touchpad Driver
  • Alps Touchpad Driver
  • Realtek RTL8723BE/RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Drivers
  • Realtek RTL8723BE Bluetooth Driver
  • Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver
  • Realtek Card Reader Driver
  • HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors)

And Firmware for: 

• Hitachi Hard Drive Firmware Update

Here is some information for you to read before hand

"To verify that you have a genuine copy of Windows 10 that has not been used on more devices than the license agreement calls for, your Windows 10 needs to be activated. Depending on where you acquired your copy of Windows 10, activation will occur using either a digital entitlement or a 25-character product key.

See HP support document Windows 10 Product Activation for more information about activating Windows 10."

Source: Installing Windows 10

Please read the documentation provided thoroughly. 

I hope that this has answered your questions and provided you with the information you were seeking. If so, please share with others by marking the appropriate post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below. 

Thank you! 

Have a wonderful day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

With extra time on my hands, I decided to go ahead and do a "clean install" of Windows 10, as a trial-and-error, since I also had my backup recovery discs made with the original Win 8.1 system that came preinstalled.

I'm assuming all HP laptops would be similar or the same, but much, if not all, of the software/drivers etc. were already stored in the "SWSetup" folder on the C: drive. I saved this entire folder and contents to a USB drive before I did the format and clean install. Surprisingly, the folder and all contents were still on the C: drive even after I did the clean install, but obviously I had backed it up on a flash drive.

I was able to install the programs I wanted to keep/reinstall after the clean install, including programs such as the Foxit Phantom PDF, 7-zip, HP Support Assistant, and a couple others. However, the answer posted below is also helpful to retrieve some of the software (though the Foxit PDF and 7-zip are not on there). These programs installed and work with no issue, but I had concerns, since not all of them are freely available to download from the provider on the web.

HP Recommended

That is great! 

Thank you for letting me know that you were able to keep everything you wanted when doing the clean install! I appreciate being able to read for my own knowledge what had worked for you. 

I am sure that others will appreciate finding the answers also if they have the same questions and concerns. 

Take care! 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.