Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
probook 450 g1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer came with Win 7 installed and Win 8 disks. I have been upgraded to Win 10. I want to do a clean reinstall. How can I get the software and do the job?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.

Please, confirm if I understand you correctly. You want to install Windows 10 clean installation ?

Just a note - if this is the case, you will lose the original Windows 7 recovery partitions and in case you decide to downgrade to Windows 7, you will not be able to without recovery media.

If this is the case, download the ISO for Windows 10 from Microsoft site >> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Burn it on DVD or make USB bootable media and install Windows 10 from it.

As far as activation goes, post installation Windows 10 should active fine because you have now activated it (I guess it is activated now) and after clean install, it will activate based on Digital entitlement  >http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10 

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.

Please, confirm if I understand you correctly. You want to install Windows 10 clean installation ?

Just a note - if this is the case, you will lose the original Windows 7 recovery partitions and in case you decide to downgrade to Windows 7, you will not be able to without recovery media.

If this is the case, download the ISO for Windows 10 from Microsoft site >> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Burn it on DVD or make USB bootable media and install Windows 10 from it.

As far as activation goes, post installation Windows 10 should active fine because you have now activated it (I guess it is activated now) and after clean install, it will activate based on Digital entitlement  >http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10 

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Many thanks. I have no interest in Windows 7. I came from XP and was getting along in Windows 8.Thus I immediately installed Win 8 on my new laptop. What I really needed to know was if I insert a Win 10 iso DVD in my CD/DVD drive would it boot and would I be able to reformat and reinstall. I have downloaded the ISO but am having problems making a DVD. I tried that with no success so I thought I might meed an opperating system from HP. Problems with cutting DVDs is the reasom I wish to start again from scratch. I do have an old desktop running Win 10. I tried cutting the 64 bit ISO on it and it didn't seem to work. I'll get friends to make me the ISO or download again and try again. I am not sure I was able to click the thumbs up but you have solved my problem I think.

durbandon

HP Recommended

@durbandon wrote:

Many thanks. I have no interest in Windows 7. I came from XP and was getting along in Windows 8.Thus I immediately installed Win 8 on my new laptop. What I really needed to know was if I insert a Win 10 iso DVD in my CD/DVD drive would it boot and would I be able to reformat and reinstall. I have downloaded the ISO but am having problems making a DVD. I tried that with no success so I thought I might meed an opperating system from HP. Problems with cutting DVDs is the reasom I wish to start again from scratch. I do have an old desktop running Win 10. I tried cutting the 64 bit ISO on it and it didn't seem to work. I'll get friends to make me the ISO or download again and try again. I am not sure I was able to click the thumbs up but you have solved my problem I think.

durbandon

You are welcome !

Let's clarify some things - you say your computer came with Win 7, now you say you have Win 8. Are we talking about the same computer. What is the OS you currently use on this computer ?  If you have Win 7 or 8 - do you want to try to upgrade them to Win 10 instead of clean new installation of 10 ?

If you have a valid working Win 10 DVD - it should be able to boot - but it may not happen automatically - you may need to "ask" your computer to do so.

Once you completely shutdown the machine, then start it by pressing the power on button. Immediately start pressing the Esc button OR F9 button for bootable options , then the HP BIOS/UEFI should open with options for booting - you can choose the DVD. More information >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443326

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03659945

Here are instructions how to burn the ISO on DVD >> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14183/beginner-geek-how-to-burn-an-iso-image-to-a-disc/

If you have Win 7, 8 , 8.1 or 10, you can use the latest options in the article. Just ensure the ISO that you downloaded is valid (not corrupted) , insert new empty DVD disc, right click the ISO and "Burn disc image"

If you currently have Win 7 or 8 and you want to upgrade to Win 10 via inplace upgrade , you can burn the ISO image, place it in the drive, start the process from the DVD (setup.exe) and follow the on-screen instructions >> http://www.howtogeek.com/197559/how-to-install-windows-10-on-your-pc/

Alternatively, for clean installation , boot from the DVD

HP Recommended

A brief history to get us both on the same page and accurately define my problem. Windows XP was going away. I bought Windows 8 for my desktop and installed it. I learned to use Windows 8. For my 80th birthday my brother brought me an HP ProBook 450 G1. It came with Windows 7 installed and upgrade disks for Windows 8. Since I had never used Windows 7 and was coping in Win8 I installed Win8. Both my computers upgraded to Windows 10. The laptop is a 64 bit machine while the desktop is 32. The desktop is considerably slower than the laptop so I seldom use it. I mostly just turn it on for a few hours a month to keep it up to date.

I tried to copy some DVD movies for friends and they would not copy. I suspect they infected the laptop with something as I started to have problems writing to DVDs. I tried to burn the Win10 64 bit ISO. I was using Roxio Creator NCT Pro3. That program suggested bad media. I was able to make music CDs and had bought 25 DVDs some years ago very cheaply. Bad media was possible. I created an ISO for 64 bit Win 10 on my desktop using Roxio Creator Classic and DVDs from another source. I tried booting laptop to no avail. Thus I thought I may need a special HP boot disk like those I got for Win 7 and 8 with my laptop. Thus I came to HP forums for a solution. You have solved my original problem by telling me I only need to boot from a DVD containing the Win 64k ISO’

You have told me I can use a Windows 10 64 bit ISO and reinstall Win 10. I shall try to do that. I am not sure how to set boot sequence. I entered <ESC> on boot and got nowhere. Alas, my faulty short term memory makes things even more difficult. I got the message to go to www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup but found only more hoops to jump through there.

I have acquired more blank DVDs. The Verbatim pack of 50 were on sale so perhaps some are faulty. Perhaps my download dropped a bit or 2. Perhaps the DVD drive on my laptop is faulty. Your assurance that I can boot from a Win 10 ISO and reinstall gives me some hope. I have limited bandwidth but we are now in a new month so I will have enough to download the Win10 64bit ISO again. I shall also test booting from the 32 bit iso on my desktop.

Per aspera ad astra. (a bit of lingering Latin from my High School days)

HP Recommended

Hi, again. Reply is below in text in blue
@durbandon wrote:

A brief history to get us both on the same page and accurately define my problem. Windows XP was going away. I bought Windows 8 for my desktop and installed it. I learned to use Windows 8. For my 80th birthday my brother brought me an HP ProBook 450 G1. It came with Windows 7 installed and upgrade disks for Windows 8. Since I had never used Windows 7 and was coping in Win8 I installed Win8. Both my computers upgraded to Windows 10. The laptop is a 64 bit machine while the desktop is 32. The desktop is considerably slower than the laptop so I seldom use it. I mostly just turn it on for a few hours a month to keep it up to date.

Thanks a lot - yes, we are now on the very same page - this helped 🙂

I tried to copy some DVD movies for friends and they would not copy. I suspect they infected the laptop with something as I started to have problems writing to DVDs.

No, this is less likely. Infections though CDs or DVDs are not self-replicating, not self burning on DVD/CD and this requies more user-interaction. Although this is possible, it is less likely.

I tried to burn the Win10 64 bit ISO. I was using Roxio Creator NCT Pro3. That program suggested bad media.

No, leave Roxio away at least temporary.  Take a look at this article >> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14183/beginner-geek-how-to-burn-an-iso-image-to-a-disc/

but scroll down to the bottom at a place where it says "Use Windows 7" and follow from there on.

Windows 7, 8, 10 all have built-in software to burn files to CDs or DVDs and they also have option to create bootable media (a.k.a. burn ISOs to DVDs)

Just right click the ISO file and choose "Burn disc image" and follow the on-screen instructions.

I was able to make music CDs and had bought 25 DVDs some years ago very cheaply. Bad media was possible. I created an ISO for 64 bit Win 10 on my desktop using Roxio Creator Classic and DVDs from another source.

All that is needed is to download the Windows 10 ISO and save it on your computer. Can be taken from here :

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Try to download it again and ensure the connection is stable. Note that, the x64 version of Windows 10 is 4.1 GB in size.

You have told me I can use a Windows 10 64 bit ISO and reinstall Win 10. I shall try to do that. I am not sure how to set boot sequence. I entered <ESC> on boot and got nowhere. Alas, my faulty short term memory makes things even more difficult. I got the message to go to www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup but found only more hoops to jump through there.

You can watch this video at YouTube >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZezmjKBqp-c

It is about slightly different thing. You can watch it all but you need to pay attention from the beginning to minute 1 to 2. 

Basically, once you power on the computer OR after you restart it, keep hitting the Esc button to load options. You will some options such as diagnostics, BIOS/UEFI settings, Boot menu. Boot menu is F9 , so basically after the Esc you need to press F9 once to open the boot menu. Then, you need to use the keyboard up/down and select the DVD option. Finally, hit ENTER on it and IF the Windows 10 DVD is inserted and IF it is working fine, it will boot and start the installation process.

I have acquired more blank DVDs. The Verbatim pack of 50 were on sale so perhaps some are faulty.

Oh, no, 50 is not necessary. You only need 1 blank DVD of size 4.7 GB 🙂 Max 2 - if the 1st one is faulty. Verbatim, SONY and HP are my favourite blank DVD vendors, so Verbatim should typically work.

Perhaps my download dropped a bit or 2.

That is possible and happens from time to time especially on metered connections and huge downloads. Unfortunately, Microsoft do not provide the so called hashes (MD5, SHA256 or similar sums) which users can use to verify the integrity of the downlod. Unoffical ones exist but are too old and I am sure Microsoft did release updates post this period. So, you can only hope the download passes fine and check its size finally - 4.1 GB for x64 edition. There are some other possibilities such as trying to load the ISO on a virtual machine but let's skip this at the moment.

Perhaps the DVD drive on my laptop is faulty.

You can test it - you have 50 blank DVDs 🙂 - spare one to write some songs on it and if the songs start to play fine - the DVD is not faulty - it could be the download corrupted or something in the boot settings.

Let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in answering. Many more urgent things have been occupying my time. Many thanks for the link. I have probably have Windows 10 – 64 on an 8 gig memory stick. Amazing what reading the instructions can do. I am a retired Chemistry lecturer and always told my students they must read and understand the question or problem. I dropped the ball there.

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

I looked at the video and can see where it can help. Your explanation is probably all I need.

You can watch this video at YouTube >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZezmjKBqp-c

It is about slightly different thing. You can watch it all but you need to pay attention from the beginning to minute 1 to 2. 

Basically, once you power on the computer OR after you restart it, keep hitting the Esc button to load options. You will some options such as diagnostics, BIOS/UEFI settings, Boot menu. Boot menu is F9 , so basically after the Esc you need to press F9 once to open the boot menu. Then, you need to use the keyboard up/down and select the DVD option. Finally, hit ENTER on it and IF the Windows 10 DVD is inserted and IF it is working fine, it will boot and start the installation process.

You can test it - you have 50 blank DVDs - spare one to write some songs on it and if the songs start to play fine - the DVD is not faulty - it could be the download corrupted or something in the boot settings.

I have done some CDs and it worked fine. I did worry about a Root Kit. I recall someone (Sony?) installed a Root Kit if you put one of their music CDs into your computer. I have totally uninstalled Roxio. I will need to reinstall it eventually as I plan to digitize quite a few vinyl 33s dating back to my graduate student days.

Let me know how it goes.

You have solved my original problem and much more. I have installed the HP Support Assistant. It told me what my system is. It now wants to create a system recovery so I shall search for the medium I need to do so. Another day another problem. It was a bit of a mission to get back to you but certainly worth the effort. Many thanks.

Durbandon

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.