Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProBook 470 G0
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently needed to carry out a re-format  of my hard disk and a clean install of the Windows 8 software (Windows 8 Pro 64bit). After installing all the Windows 8 updates and checking the current updated drivers with HP Assistant, the software still does not upgrade. The free Windows 8.1 upgrade was downloaded from the Microsoft Store and installed automatically. It then completed configuration as expected but after about an hour the screen went blank except for the mouse arrow still being visible. There appeared to be continued hard disk activity so I waited but after over six hours the upgrade did not appear to be any further on and so I was forced to abandon the upgrade.

This is frustrating as I have now tried this process again and am still no further forward and need to get this resolved. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your support. It is much appreciated.

I tried a lot of different things including stopping unnecessary services, uninstalling Bluetooth and disabling ethernet (via the BIOS) but this still did not resolve the issue. However, as the BIOS has been upgraded to the latest version, I decided to look into the settings to see if there was anything that looked unususal.  I did notice that the graphics interface was configured to the switchable setting. As I was not sure what this was and as the graphics should function on a non-switchable setting, I decided to turn off this option. To be quite honest, there were very few other options left to try. Anyway, after saving the new BIOS configuration, booting up the HP ProBook and re-selecting the Windows8.1 upgrade, the whole process completed without any further problems. Joy at last! All that was left was to download and install the 256 Windows 8.1 updates!! 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi@Joe_King,

Thank you for choosing HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Unable to upgrade the OS to Windows 8.1. Is that right?

Thank you for sharing the issue details. I would like to help you.

I recommend you try the steps using the link below and check if that helps.

This is a more appropriate link for troubleshooting the Windows 8.1 upgrade on your PC.

http://hp.care/2fmAMrK

Hope this helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your support. It is much appreciated.

I tried a lot of different things including stopping unnecessary services, uninstalling Bluetooth and disabling ethernet (via the BIOS) but this still did not resolve the issue. However, as the BIOS has been upgraded to the latest version, I decided to look into the settings to see if there was anything that looked unususal.  I did notice that the graphics interface was configured to the switchable setting. As I was not sure what this was and as the graphics should function on a non-switchable setting, I decided to turn off this option. To be quite honest, there were very few other options left to try. Anyway, after saving the new BIOS configuration, booting up the HP ProBook and re-selecting the Windows8.1 upgrade, the whole process completed without any further problems. Joy at last! All that was left was to download and install the 256 Windows 8.1 updates!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.