Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy m7 J010dx
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I need some help here.

My HP envy m7 J010dx is working perfectly with my original hard drive (1TB).

I'm preparing a second HDD(NEW 320GB) as backup.

So I took off the orignal HDD(1TB) and replace it with the NEW HDD (320GB) and trying to do a full system recovery with the HP recovery DVD's.

After the Full system recovery was done and the laptop need to be restarted to continue, the laptop keeps restarting on the windows 8 logo.

I think it says Boot device not found. Also a test using the HP hardware UEFI diagnostics tool and everything pass.

Replacing the NEW HDD with the Old original HDD and it boot up normally.

What can go wrong here in this case? Thank you very much for the help.

Regards

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, I've read through the thread and this is my take on this based on how the recovery process works particularly with User Created Recovery Media (UCRDs) which the user stated they used. 

If you just want to skip to the conclusion at the bottom, you can see my opinion. If you want to know the “why” please read the whole post.

Model #: m7-j010dx

Product #: E0K83UA#ABA

Shipped OS: Windows 8 (64-bit)

HP Recovery Kit Part #: 730336-002 (3 DVDs + Supplement)

User changed the HDD from a 1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection to a new hard drive which is a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9320423AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive.

Using UCRDs versus Support Sent Recovery Media (SSRDs):  

When UCRDs are created, only the drivers for the functioning HW (this is a critical point I will address later) are burned to the User Created Recovery Media.  Think of this as a snapshot of the current HW, base drivers and software applications.   If you were to change the HW on a Notebook or Desktop where the added device needs a different driver for full functionality, a few issues could occur - Recovery process could stop because it cannot find the correct driver, a Blue Screen, a No Boot or other system instability.  

A few years ago I had a PC that would not recover because the Blu-ray Optical Disc Drive (ODD) did not function.  I replaced the Blu-ray ODD with a generic DVD/CD burner until the new Blu-ray part showed up.   I recovered the PC using SSRDs thinking I would save some time and just install the Blu-ray after the PC was recovered.   The PC recovered and when the new Blu-ray showed up I installed the device and guess what?  All the PC showed in Device Manager and applications was a generic ODD - No Blu-ray capability and no capability to play Blu-ray content in the default HP provided multi-media applications shipped with the PC.  The apps were there but no Blu-ray capability.  

Huh?  Looks like I did not save any time at all. 

I inserted the new Blu-ray ODD and started the recovery again with the HP SSRDs. 

After the recovery, I had all the Blu-ray drivers and the apps supported Blu-ray. 

The difference between UCRDs and SSRDs: 

UCRDs are a snapshot of what is installed and functional at the time the discs are created.

Reader’s Digest version on what happens using SSRDs to recover a PC (prior to Windows 10):

SSRDs have all the drivers for all the HW and SW qualified for the unit.  There may be multiple drivers for HDDs, ODDs, different screen types/resolutions, etc.  Based on the features of the specific Notebook/Desktop a process is run called "Do / Don't ".   After inserting the SSRD recovery media, the Notebook boots to Recovery Manager.  The first step is a raw copy of all disc content to a temporary partition.  Next the Do/Don't process looks at the features for that specific unit and deletes all the other drivers and apps not used by this unit.  The only drivers/applications retained are the supported features.   Then the new OS and recovery partition are created.   The PC finishes the cleanup recovery processes and restarts the Notebook/Desktop. And, yes, you guessed it, if you create User Created Recovery Media, you only have the drivers for the HW devices and HP applications on the PC at the time.

So, that being said, what could be the issue/solution?

The HDDs can be different enough that a different driver (not on the UCRDs) is needed for the newly installed HW.

Do the SSRDs support the new HDD installed?

I do not know, I am a Desktop guy and I have not tried this on this Notebook model.  

If you have/acquire SSRDs, I would recover the Notebook with the new HDD installed and see if it works.  It may or it may not.  I do not know what HDDs were qualified for this Notebook.

If it does not work, the last option is cloning via a USB connection (old HDD in the PC, new HDD connected to a USB 3 port via the SATA to USB adapter (dongle), install or download the cloning software and cloning the old HDD to the new.   I just did this on two older Windows 7 Notebooks using a SanDisk Ultra kit.  It worked on both units.  

Conclusion:

I do not think the issue is caused by going from a 1TB HDD to a 320GB HDD since it meets the minimum specifications for a full install.  I believe the issue is related to using UCRDs to recover and the UCRDs lack the correct HDD driver/firmware/application. 

But then again, what do I know.  

I am an HP employee….  

I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Which type, brand and model of hard disk was it?

There is nothing called a "full system recovery". Please use the terms as described in the HP Recovery Manager.

Was it a Factory image recovery?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

I have tried both "Factory Reset" and "Minimized Image Recovery".

The HDD I am trying to install it, is a Seagate Momentus 7200.4  320GB SATA drive.

Model : ST9320423AS

Thanks for the help!

Btw I am not sure if the real name was called "Factory Image Recovery". These DVD's were created when the Laptop startup for the first time and I called them Recovery Disc. There are 6 of them.

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

please could you help me out here with my laptop problem?

After I provided you the information you ask about the Hard drive 3 days ago,

you didn't reply me back anymore. Also no here are replying on private messages.

Hope you can get back on this post soon again, thank you!

HP Recommended

When the factory reset was finished, did you remove the DVD disk from the drive before the restart?

I discovered long ago that there is a point in the recovery where you have to do that, even thought the recovery program does not advise you of it.  Failure to do that had me experiencing the restart at Windows 8,  over and over, just as you described it.

Run another recovery and watch the indicators on the page, especiallly the lower one, to see when everything is complete and ready to restart. Remove the DVD before it restarts.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

First of all thank you for the reply!

I did removed the DVD disc after finished and I have run both recovery at least 2 times but I will run another one more (Minimized Image Recovery) today and paying attention on the disc removal before it restarts as you have described.

I will get you the update right after finished. Please follow my post tomorrow. Thank you very much!

Regards,
John

HP Recommended

Hi erico,

I did do what you said, removing the DVD disk from the drive after "Factory Image recovery Preparation"  and thought that this time it should go smooth.

After Recovery Preparation is complete, I took off the DVD disk and restarted the computer to start with the Software Installation progress. After the Software Installation screen was finished, it restarted and I saw the blue screen of windows "Region and Language" and it was busy loading or installing something on the background and before I can reach on the screen to enter my information, it restarted automatically again. After restart, I saw the Blue screen of windows "Region and Language"pop up again and than restart. After the second time I don't saw it anymore and the computer just keep restarting of the windows 8 logo on black screen. Just it's back to the same problem as I have again.

Is there anyone experience this problem too and can you tell me how you have fixed this?

Hope to gets responds from everyone that could help me fixing this and thank you again erico.

Regards,

John

HP Recommended

I still suggest that the point at which you are removing the media is wrong.

It took me a while to find it the first time I was practicing performing recoveries. 

@HPASK

The following images and comment was from one of the recoveries I  performed with my current Spectre 13-v000 HP product loan.

Based on my experience with the Recovery Manager over the past six years, this is when the usb flash drive should be removed from the usb port. Remove it while the program is still running  and is at the 100% Progress markI have found on numerous Recovery attempts, that the recovery will restart if the USB recovery media or Recovery disk is not removed at this time.  It can be very frustrating and involve many long hours of your valuable time.

The following image is what you should see when your recovery has successfully completed. 

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

thank you again for taking your time helping me with this problem.

Very appreciated that you've found me those pictures.

I will give it another try again today and will let you know how it goes.

I did remember that I've took the DVD disk out right after the estimated remain time was 0 and the DVD-rom drive went open by itself. So this should be wrong what we were doing all the time.

Based on what you have showed me, is this than a program fault or is this problem only affecting some machines?

Wait for my good news. Thank you!

Regards,

John

HP Recommended

Hi John,

This is actually something I have asked HP to add to the HP Recovery program. It affects all PC and notebook products that use the Recovery Manager system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.