Question

Honor Student
jball11
Message 1 of 6 (11,527 Views)

0% available (plugged in, not charging)

I have had my ProBook 6555b Windows 7 32-bit for only 2 months and when i plugged my laptop in because it had died it started from the beginning instead of resuming windows which was weird and then i notcied the battery said 0% available plugged in not charging i tried a different ac adapter which made no difference and i also tried unistalling ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery in device manager and then took out the battery waited and the scan for hardware changes. ps. in device manager it displays two ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery not one like i saw on different videos.

Master's Graduate
viki9324
Message 2 of 6 (11,495 Views)

Re: 0% available (plugged in, not charging)

This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with Windows 7 and Vista.
HP Battery Check is a utility in HP Support Assistant that provides a simple but accurate test of the battery.
The maximum capacity of all batteries decreases with time and use. Loss of battery capacity varies with product configuration and usage, including but not limited to product model, applications running, power management settings, and product features. The battery warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship that result in failure; it does not cover natural deterioration of battery capacity. To determine if a battery has had a warrantied failure, you may need to run additional diagnostics.
To get the latest version of the HP Battery Check, download and install HP Support Assistant for Windows 7 and Vista.
  NOTE:   When installing or upgrading HP Support Assistant, the Battery Check option in the Power, Thermal, and Mechanical window may not appear. HP Support Assistant must run at least once to activate the program.To resolve this issue, complete the following steps.
  1. Select Maintain and click Refresh .
  2. Exit HP Support Assistant.
  3. Restart HP Support Assistant
Check the battery status
To prepare your computer for checking the battery status, turn off the PC and connect it to the AC adapter. The notebook PC must be on AC power in order for HP Battery Check to function properly. The PC should be allowed to charge for approximately 30 - 60 minutes before trying to run the HP Battery Check utility.
If you plug in your AC adapter and immediately run the HP Battery Check, you may get a false failure showing the battery is bad. If the battery is in a low charge state (at less than 3%) you may also get a false reading.
Follow the steps below to check the battery using HP Support Assistant.
  1. Click Start and select HP Support Assistant .
  2. On the HP Support Assistant window, select Troubleshoot , and then select Power, Thermal, and Mechanical .
    Figure 1: Launch Battery Check from HP Support Assistant
  3. Click Battery Check to examine your battery and display the results of your battery status check.
    Figure 2: HP Battery Check, showing "Status: OK" for the battery
    A Status: OK message indicates the battery is operating and functioning as designed and within specification. However, if additional computer operating time is desired, the power management settings can be adjusted or another battery may be purchased. No further action is required for this status.
    Figure 3: HP Battery Check, showing "Status: Replace" for the battery
    A Status: Replace message indicates the battery has either reached the end of its useful life or has encountered a failure and should be replaced.
    Figure 4: HP Battery Check, showing "Status: Replace" with Under Warranty Failure ID for the battery
    If the notebook and battery age is under one year, a 24-character Failure ID is displayed below the Status: Replace explanation. Contact HP and provide the 24-character Failure ID for a battery replacement under warranty.
    Figure 5: HP Battery Check, showing "Status: Replace" with Out-of-Warranty Failure ID for the battery
    If the battery is older than 1 year and was warranted for 1 year, Failure ID: REOOW is displayed below the Status: Replace explanation. Therefore the battery is out-of-warranty. A replacement battery may be purchased by clicking Click here to purchase a replacement battery , through www.hp.com , or from a HP Authorized Service Provider.
    Figure 6: HP Battery Check, showing "Status: Calibrate" and "Status: No Battery"
    A Status: Calibrate message indicates that the battery is functioning correctly but needs to be calibrated. HP Battery Check provides instructions based on the battery it detects.
    A Status: No Battery message indicates that no battery was detected during the test. A battery may be purchased by clicking Click here to purchase a replacement battery , through www.hp.com , or from a HP Authorized Service Provider.
    Other battery states (not shown)
    A Failure ID: REOOW-L message indicates that the battery is older than 1 year and is also a Long Life battery. Further investigation is required to determine the warranty status of battery under test. Please contact HP or a HP Authorized Service Provider to request a replacement battery.
    A Status: Unknown message indicates that an error was encountered while trying to access the battery under test. Please re-insert the battery and the AC Adapter to retest the battery.
The current state of the battery (charging or discharging) is displayed
****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
Honor Student
jball11
Message 3 of 6 (11,485 Views)

I checked and it said it needed to be replaced under warranty. What number should i call to contact HP?

Master's Graduate
viki9324
Message 4 of 6 (11,466 Views)

Contact HP at 800-hpinvent toll Free 24/7 support

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
Student
timsavage55
Message 5 of 6 (10,767 Views)

I am having this same issue on a hp 8560w, I installed the HP battery check and if comes back green, status OK (4) and then gives all the stats but does not charge - stuck at 0%.

Top Student
wrks4dOtherGuys
Message 6 of 6 (10,759 Views)

Batteries degrade over time and from being left on the charger.

It takes evern more of a tole if you are using the portable pc while it is charging.

Best way to discribe it is the battery is charged as full as it can be. 

It's not as healty as it used to be.

Example:

In my 20's I could run 10 miles no prolem on a good nights sleep

now in my 30's I can get a good nights sleep and yet only run 2 miles lol

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation