12-12-2013 03:09 PM
First off, the HP driver support has to be among the worst of all OEM's that I have ever seen. I'm surprised your customers aren't rebelling already (especially considering the amount of threads here, and elsewhere, considering your 8.1 support).
Secondly, the voes start already when I want to download the drivers for my notebook. You can't search precisely for your product number (even though they offer that, it just never works, like your automatic hardware detection). Instead, you have to scour through the entire model line, and then pick what should fit for your notebook.
And that's not all, when you search for 4740s, you get this:
Seriously, three of them? And, at least to me, they're all pretty much the same when it comes to the driver pages. Way to go confusing people who just bought your notebook with offering three, pretty much identical choices.
Next thing is: your graphic drivers for 8.1. Pretty much everyone who has switchable graphics is funked up on 8.1. Why? Because your drivers, which you offer on your official pages, DO NOT WORK! You download them, then you're all the time on your Intel HD graphics card, because the Radeon never does anything. Why? Why let me you why: because the drivers are so poorly written, that the Radeon card never gets the chance to do anything.
Instead, people have to resort to downloading alternative 3rd party drivers (for such a company I'm surprised you're all not collectively ashamed of yourself) if they want to use the full performance ability of such a notebook.
Not only that, you claim one should never download drivers from original manufacturers, because HP makes special ones for every notebook. Yeah, sure. That's why with your drivers, my notebook lags like a stone age abacus, and with Intel HD drivers (from the Intel website) and AMD Beta Drivers, this thing runs like alien technology.
Next thing: there's still no Ralink Wifi drivers for 8.1. I suppose you never plan to release that either? Why should people have Wifi drivers, that's such a passe, right?
TL;DR version for HP folks who never read this (although they should, if they would care about their customers):
1. Graphic card drivers don't work properly. Have to download other combinations from other websites. What does one have to do so the ones download from HP actually work how they're supposed to?
2. No Ralink wifi drivers for 8.1. On the Windows 8 page they exist, but they don't work with 8.1. Where do I get them? Maybe some other page which is not HP? Well, wouldn't be surprising.
- Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)
- Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)
- Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 8)
- Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! (US and Canada Only)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)