Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 9440P
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm considering upgrading an Elitebook 8440P to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Are there any known issues at this point?

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

BT, I have the same machine and am scheduled to update this morning. Did you try it, and if so, how did it go? Thanks!

HP Recommended

hello

for my elitebook 8440p energy star , i can't update it to windows 10. it tell me "my cpu is not compatible with windows 10"

i have an intel core i5 M520 2.40Ghz

Have you the same problem ?

thanks

HP Recommended

I would not recommend updating to Windows 10 on the HP 8440p Intel Core i5-520M if you have the Intel HD Graphics. There are issues with this graphics driver and Windows 10 (not supported for Windows 10 per Intels site). Often the screen just loads to a black screen when booting up after the Windows 10 logo screen. I have been able to get around this sometimes by closing the lid and then reoppening it. If that doesn't work I've had to pull the battery and then power it back on. This is very annoying and I wouldn't recommend the update due to this. This same issue occurs on 2 different 8440p laptops with the most recent Intel HD grapics driver installed (tried older drivers with no improvement).

UPDATE: I think I might have figured out a solution for this issue. Go to Device Manager - Display Adapters - Right click and select Update Driver Software - Browse my computer for driver software - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer - under Show compatible hardware select Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and click Next. At this point my screen went black for several minutes (5+ minutes) and I couldn't get it to come back on. I then held down the power button to power off laptop. Booted PC back up and it loaded ok. Shut down, rebooted, and hibernated several times and the PC booted back up ok each time WITHOUT getting stuck at the black screen.  Went back and checked in Device Manager and it is using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter instead of the Intel HD Graphics driver. This appears to have resolved the issue but I'll test some more. Appears to break sleep mode and being able to adjust brightness.

HP Recommended

domicanere - I have the 8440p energy star model and I was able to update to Windows 10. You may want to verify you have the newest chipset and other drivers installed for your laptop, except for Intel HD Graphics (which has some issues in Windows 10).

HP Recommended

I was able to find a way to adjust brightness to a point. "HP Quick Launch Buttons" is installed on my laptop. If I press "fn" and "F11" at the same time it will adjust the brightness down a little bit. Pressing again then turns the brightness back up. This turns the Ambient Light Sensor to Enabled or Disabled. If you have the icon in your system tray, you can also toggle brightness from there by right clicking on icon. So it gives you 2 brightness options, instead of having just one.

HP Recommended

so how is it so far 
do you recommend me to get windows 10 on my hp elitebook 8440p?

HP Recommended

I've upgraded 7 to 10 x64 (Version 10.0.10240) a month ago and so far I would say is acceptable the experience.

I've found so far two major issues. One related to the general operation of the OS which is preventing a clean shutdown. I mean that when you want to perform a shutdown, the os freeze and the only option is to manually turn off the laptop.

The other issue is related to the fingerprint scanner. Even all the driver's are detected and installed properly, the hello functions are not shown in the sign in options, and the security manager is not compatible with windows 10, rendering the scanner unusable.

Hope this advice help you.

HP Recommended

I just upgraded my Elitebook 8440p to Win 10 a couple days ago (without researching compatibility first).

I only have experienced, (infrequently) the black screen issue. I will possibly change the Device Manager to Windows Basic and see if there are any improvements.

I also have the fingerprint scanner, and I reinstalled the software and it works perfectly fine.

I had Win 7 64 pro, and didnt have any issues.  Only upgraded based on a friend's experience with Win 10 on a similiar laptop.

I  have not experienced any shutdown issues either.

HP Recommended

I have a 5 years old HP Elitebook 8440P (i7 640, 8gb ram, upgraded with ssd). Microsoft technical support represant told me that my laptop is not eligible to get WIN10. However, I installed Win10Pro x64 without any problem. You don't have to wait Microsoft's upgrade offer.

Please, follow the these steps:

Before install WIN10, please check BIOS version and update to v.F50 (or latest one)

1- Create a bootable Win10 (home or pro, whatever u need) usb stick. (4 gb is enough)
2-When you are running on the win7. Open the usb disk and run the setup.exe
3-Choose upgrade to Win10 and install.

If you are getting an error code which is  0x000000f, watch that youtube link and repair the BCD status of your computer.

Also, you can watch this youtube video. That guys show you how can u do that. This is Turkish but it's ok. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

If you have any problem, you can send a direct message to me.

:)
🙂

Regards,
Ozzy

Best regards,
Ozzy
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.