Question

Intern
cooperator
Message 1 of 13 (3,528 Views)

A clean reinstall/ install and pre-installing Windows 7 in HP laptop?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have HP laptop came with pre-installed Windows 7 Home premium 64Bit (SP1).

I don't like  the layout of my hard disk, which is as follows:

System: boot

C: OS

D: Factory Recovery

HP tools:

So, I would decide to repartition my hard disk to be:

D: for my next Recovery partition after completing clean install.

E: Personal data partition

And then, I will either reinstall a general Windows 7 home premium 64Bit/32Bit version and then I will activate it with my product key on the sticker, or I will reinstall operating system and drivers select softwar only from choosing 'Minimised Image Recovery' option available in the options of Manager Recovery after booting from my recovery discs. So, operating system and drivers and select softwar only will be reinstalled on C and the other partitions D, E will still empty, which I will decied to use one of them for my personal data and the othe for my images of C.

My question is: Should I be able to reinstall all the software came with my pre-pre-pre-pre-installed Windows(OEM), such as:

Software - Multimedia and so on.

Must I define my devices with the their drivers or the new installing Windows will recognise them immediately?

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 2 of 13 (3,511 Views)

Re: A clean reinstall/ install and pre-installing Windows 7 in HP laptop?

Your key code will not work with an OEM or Retail copy of windows.  You can download and iso image and make a disk that will install the version of windows that  you have on your notebook and will use that key code.  You will have to completely erase the drive and all the partitions before install. A program like dban or download the hard drive manufacturer's hard drive test disk and write 0s to it.  You won't need the recovery partiton because you will have the disks so you can have a C and D if you like.  I would make a full set of recovery disks just in case you change your mind later:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-link...

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 3 of 13 (3,510 Views)

[ Edited ]

Rather then answer all your questions I am just going to give a number of options and you may choose what beats suits you.

First and foremost create you r HP recovery discs _ use a good brand name (not generic) DVD+R works best DO NOT USE REWRITABLE.

Now go to drive "C" and find a folder named SwSetup, burn the whole folder to DVD. No matter what you decide to do this folder contains all your drivers and most preinstalled software that originally came with your machine that can be used later _ it comes in very handy.

Ounce you have created you custom HP recovery discs you can use the recovery manager to remove the recovery partition, this will free up (extend if you like) drive "C" which now can be partitioned to create your own custom partition.

This method will leave the HP Tools portion in tact which may be useful some day if you have a bad BIOS flash.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Wipe the drive totally and install a retail version of Windows 7 using your product. Here is a link form digital river for ISO images of the most common W7 versions _ for this to work the ISO has to be the exact same version you're running now so your OEM product key will work.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

You may use the drivers in your SwSetup folder and/or from your support page with this method.

With this setup W7 will create two partitions "System" 199MB and drive "C". You could create two custom partitions here. It's very easy to create custom portions in W7 with it's disc management feature.

Here is a tutorial to do a custom clean install of W7, it wipes all portions and creates unallocated space on the whole drive for W7 to be installed. This goes beyond formatting the drive and provides a good solid base for W7 to run on.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

______________________________________________________________________________________

Simply leave things as they are and buy an external hard drive caddy and drive to store personal info on. This has the advantage that if your hard drive fails you will still have all your personal files. If the laptop drive fails all those custom portions will be inaccessible for the most part. There are ways to access files on a failed hard drive depending if it will spin up again. In extreme case the drive can also be sent off where they take it apart and read the info off the patters. This is quite expensive as it has to be done in a sterile (no dust) environment.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

OTHER INFO.

What ever you do Windows 7 has it`s own feature to create a mirror image of the drive. This is handy if you decide to go with a clean install and the HP restore system will be gone. You can also mirror image the drive before you do anything so you will have another back up source other then the HP recovery discs that you have made.

The W7 feature can be found in the Control panel under `Backup and Restore". There will also be an option there to create a System Repair DIsc _ you need to create this disc as well. This is used to boot from to make use of your W7 mirror discs.

@ Danjen

A OEM Windows 7 key will work with a retail version of W7 _ I have done this numerous times. It's not as easy as it used to be though, you now have to use their automated phone service.

Also, you don't need third party software to "0" the hard drive to create unallocated space, any W7 install disc can be used for this purpose _ have a quick look at the attached tutorial.  :smileyhappy:

Intern
cooperator
Message 4 of 13 (3,495 Views)

Thank you so much

First: Will I have to use a product key which some programs (finderkey) detect or the one printed on the sticker available on back on my laptop.

Second: can I use preinstall Windows 7 32Bit and then activate with the key on sticker available on back on my laptop.

Intern
cooperator
Message 5 of 13 (3,495 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much

First: Will I have to use a product key which some programs (keyfinder) detect or the one printed on the sticker available on back on my laptop. However, when I checked with keyfinder programs, I found that key different from the one which is on the sticker

Second: can I preinstall Windows 7 32Bit and then activate with the key on the sticker available on the back on my laptop.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 13 (3,491 Views)

[ Edited ]

First: Will I have to use a product key which some programs (finderkey) detect or the one printed on the sticker available on back on my laptop.

Define some programs. The product key on the bottom of the laptop is only to activate W7 and nothing else. Any pre-installed software you have like Microsoft Word is available in the SwSetup folder and does not need a product key.

Other programs like Norton Anti Virus are trials any way with no product key. That is unless you own it and you have a product key for it anyway.

Second: can I use preinstall Windows 7 32Bit and then activate with the key on sticker available on back on my laptop.

Not sure if I quite understand this question _ if it's pre-installed then you won't have to use a product key. If you mean you can use your laptop's product key to activate the version from Digital River, then yes, the laptops OEM product key will work, but you will have to use the automated phone service to do so.

As mentioned before _ the version from Digital River has to be the same as the one originally installed when the laptop was new. It does not matter if it's 32 or 64 bit.

When activating W7 in this manner you will also be asked if W7 will be installed on one computer only. You have to answer "yes" for it to work.

Intern
cooperator
Message 7 of 13 (3,488 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks a lot,

But when I checked with keyfinder programs, I found that key resultant  differs from the one which is on the sticker.

So, what is the benefit from these keyfinder programs as long as I don't benefit from its result.

Besides, why should I have activate my Windows after a clean install with the automated phone service( this would be inconvenience)?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 8 of 13 (3,484 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have done that too and it differs for me as well _ I don't have an answer for you _ just use the one on the bottom of the laptop and you will be fine.

I don't know what the benefit of the key finder programs are, I would have to Google around to find out just as you would.

It depends how Windows is installed, if you use you HP recovery discs you don't have to activate it as the discs were created when the Windows was activated.

When you do a clean install the product is not activated yet and you need to do so. When activating W7 in this fashion using your OEM product key you don't have a choice other then the phone activation service _ it's just the way Microsoft has it set up.

Here's a hint :

If you do clean install you will eventually be prompted to enter a product key, at this pint do not attempt to enter the laptop's product key, "Untick" the box at the bottom of the screen where it asks you to activate Windows. This will allow you to install it as a trial _ continue to install Windows.

When it's done installing right click on "Computer" and go to "Properties". At the bottom of that page find "Change Product Key" click on that and follow the prompts enter the laptop's product key. This use to work, but now when I do this it tells me that WIndows can not be activated in this way and it gives me a couple of different options to activate Windows, one of which is by the automated phone service.

It's a little bit drawn out, but it will work and ounce it's activated you won't have to do it again, that's unless you wipe the drive and start from scratch.

Intern
cooperator
Message 9 of 13 (3,435 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much indeed,

Is it recommended to let Windows OS and programs reside on a separate partition and data in another one?
I am expecting so, because the image of OS would be quick and small. 

Also, because as you know that MBR hard disk only has four primary partitions. Thus,

I would only like you to confirm to me whether this layout after doing clean install is good or not.

D: Recovery partition for all the hard drive Or just "C"

E:  Programs installed and my personal data

HP tools( the partition left from the last layout)

--------------------------

D: Recovery partition for all the hard drive Or just "C"

E: programs installed

F: my personal data

-------------------------

D: Recovery partition for all the hard drive Or just "C"

E: my personal data

---------------------------

For me, however,  I would rather choose the first

Finally: because I should activate my Windows with an automated phone service, could you let me know what phone number of Microsoft I sould call to active my Windows after installing a clean install? 

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 10 of 13 (3,414 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're making this more complicated then it has to be. :smileyfrustrated:

Is it recommended to let Windows OS and programs reside on a separate partition and data in another one?

I don't think it really matters.

You have made your recovery disc haven't you _ it's a good idea to test them out too _ highly advisable ?

The simplest way to accomplish your custom partition is to use the recovery manager in "All Programs" to delete the recovery partition and the divide up "C" to create a custom partition in Windows disc management. (I will see if I can fin a tutorial on that)

This leave the HP Tools partition in tact and still useable.

If you're still bent on doing a clean install then read and understand the tutorial I have linked to you.

It's best to delete all the partitions from the HP install as the original recovery partition and the HP Tools partition become corrupted and unusable anyway. They just get in the way of a W7 clean install and they don't work any way after the fact (99% of the time)

The clean install will take about 20 minutes and there will be two partitions, the boot one of 199MB and drive C of course.

http://www.guidingtech.com/681/create-partition-windows-disk-management/

There are a bunch of youtube videos as well, but the one I found weren't that great.

You may also create your custom partition when you install W7, but it's best if you delete all the original ones first.

Your last question :

I don't know the phone numbers, when you activate Windows you will be confronted with a specific number for you area and usually toll free.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation