Question

Honor Student
awhalley
Message 1 of 6 (12,671 Views)

Accessing files on the Recovery partition

[ Edited ]

I recently ran into problems with my HP Pavillion 9700 laptop which meant I couldn't boot.  I decided to restore the O/S and start again.  Not a big deal.  Only had a few files I needed to keep.

Before I wiped everything out and started again I somehow managed to get the machine to boot to a command prompt on the recovery partition which it assigned the drive letter X: to.  From there I could access both the recovery partition and the c: drive so I copied the files I wanted to a folder I created on the recovery partition ( x: ) with the intention of recovering them later once the machine was restored.  (Using the copy to USB drive option I found somewhere didn't work because it wouldn't recognize any of the USB devices I plugged into it.)

Now that the O/S is restored and everything's working again I want to get the files back off of the recovery partition.  Problem is I can't remember how I got to the point where I was booted to a command prompt on the recovery partition.

Can someone tell me how I can get the files I copied back off the recovery partition.

Thanks.

Intern
Vishnuchittan
Message 2 of 6 (12,666 Views)

Re: Accessing files on the Recovery partition

Start the PC. Tap F8 key as soon as you see the HP logo at startup (normally first screen). This will take you to Advanced boot menu options. You will notice options like "repair your computer", "safe mode" etc listed. 

Select Repair your Computer option (First one) using keyboard and hit enter. This will take the PC to GUI where you would be asked to select country (US), your user account and type password if any.... 

You will then notice abt 5 to 7 options namely, Startup repair, complete PC restore, system restore, recovery manager, Hardware Diagnostic Tool, Command Prompt. Choose Command prompt here to view that screen that you saw earlier (X:\)...

Honor Student
awhalley
Message 3 of 6 (12,663 Views)

I think that might be the right spot but the files I copied are no longer there.  I guess it's possible that that X: drive is a temporary place created for the purposes of that particular boot instance.  In which case I think I may have lost the files.

Intern
philarch
Message 4 of 6 (12,341 Views)

hey awhalley,

I'm in a similar situation to me and my hp g70-111em (you can read my last post) i manged to get through to reinstalling vista and doing a backup to the hp recovery drive all through the esc key and the top f key's which is trick as it originally started with a boot manager problem.. i just want to access the drive on the laptop and check it also to see whats in it..

the worst it came to at my end was having to take the battery out because i could't switch it off . .

but now its running fine... all be it not with any of my fine tuning in site

all the best of luck with your laptop.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'VE A HP G70- EM i think .. Intel incore i5, 4gbram,1tbh/d,LAPTOP USER WITH WINDOWS 7 premium . . . . . . . .

We look and try to solve technical problems online so what's your's ?
Student
faheeem
Message 5 of 6 (5,830 Views)

hi,

i have mine recovery partition on my laptop bt still i cant goto favtory settings, whn i press f11 nothing happens,,, plz help

Student
williamdexter
Message 6 of 6 (214 Views)

Access databases can get infected due to virus corruption, media corruption, abrupt system shutdowns, software malfunction or Jet Database Engine corruption. These factors hinder proper functioning of the database and restrict you from opening the MDB files which stores all the data. Open MDB files with a good repair software and access your MS Access databases.

Try Free Trail Version Software:-    http://www.recoverydeletedfiles.com/access-file-recovery-tool.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation