Question

Quo Honor Student
Honor Student
Quo
Message 1 of 4 (5,507 Views)

Adding Asset Tag information into the Bios from Windows 7

Hi

i am looking for a utility that will allow me to add asset tag information into the bios from within windows 7 on the following: Laptop Elite Book range :  6930P  2530P 8440P

also on Desktops models: Z200sff, Z210sff, dc7800sff , dc7900sff and 800elitesff

is it possible there is one utility for all ?

or if there is no utility could someone suggest a way of doing this ?

Manually entry on thousands of machines at bios level is just not possible

Thanks

Andy

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (5,485 Views)

Re: Adding Asset Tag information into the Bios from Windows 7

Hi, Andy:

If you want to do it the only way is manual for each desktop PC and through MS DOS via a FDD or USB FDD only.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

Notebooks: Not possible at all.

Paul

Quo Honor Student
Honor Student
Quo
Message 3 of 4 (5,483 Views)

HI Paul,

Thanks for your reply - not the answer i was hoping for. I am not questioning your judgement but it does seem strange how you can apply a bios update from within Windows 7 (which is effectively writing to the bios) but you cant add asset information via the same method .

Thanks for your quick response - Seems to be an administrative nightmare for Asset tracking through sccm . We have lenovo laptops and that can be done via Windows7 - is this because the laptops and desktops are too old ???

Thanks

Andy  

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (5,481 Views)

Hi, Andy:

As far as I know, HP does not have any utilities whatsoever to change or add asset tags in the BIOS of notebooks.

It has nothing to do with the age of the PC's.

I have a brand new 8200 Elite (3 models newer than the dc7900), and if I wanted to change the serial number or add an asset tag, I would have to use the same utility I sent you the link to.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation