Question

Honor Student
cwman20
Message 1 of 6 (3,341 Views)

After installing PGP Encryption laptop is stuck at HP LOGO screen

We are installing PGP encryption and when we restart, after we encrypt the whole disk, we get stuck at the HP logo.  We pull out the hard drive and put it in another laptop, different specs, it comes up with no issue.

After installing and running whole disk encryption, the computer would halt at the HP Logo screen when rebooting.  The only way to use the hard drive again is to take it out of the machine and place it in another machine.  The one we use is the dv7-2173cl.  Once we put the hard drive in there everything works fine.  The PGP application comes up with a password notification during boot up, as is supposed to happen, then we input the password and every thing works fine.  This lock up at the HP Logo screen seems to happen only with the dv6-2173.

The unit still functions properly, but only after we decrypt the whole disk and there is no more encryption running on the disk.  We put it back into the dv6-2173 laptop and everything functions as normal, but ONLY after we decrypt the hard drive on the dv7-2173cl

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Student
blfranks
Message 2 of 6 (3,283 Views)

Re: After installing PGP Encryption laptop is stuck at HP LOGO screen

cwman20

1. slave that hard drive onto a machine fully encrypted with pgp

note: do not try to access the drive until after step 3 as pgp will format the drive, you will be prompted first

2. make sure pgp desktop is open, or in the system tray

3. When prompted by pgp, enter the passphrase for the slaved hard drive

4. run from command line chkdsk e: /f  , ( assuming E: is the slave drive)

5. re-run chkdsk until it says "found no errors with this drive"

If the slaved drive has not been fully encrypted, I would recommend finishing encryption while its slaved

1. Open pgp desktop

2. click on "PGP Disk" (on the left)

3. click on "Encypt whole disk or partition"

4. Click on the slaved hard drive

5. click on "Encrypt" button on the top right corner.

Student
shellwatt
Message 3 of 6 (3,252 Views)

I've experienced the same issue with my dvt8 using both Truecrypt 6.3 and PGP whole disk encryption.  Any ideas anyone has for why this is happening would be greatly appreciated.

Honor Student
sanath121
Message 4 of 6 (3,191 Views)

I have installed PGP on my 1st DV2060ea and had the same issue. My laptop was only comming up with the HP logo after full disck encryption.

I bought a 2nd DV2060ea thinking its a issue with PGP software and decided to use TrueCrypt 6.3 and now I have the exact same issue.

I think this is something to do witht he Bios on this new HP laptops access the harddrive as it boots even before it gives you the option to go into the bios options. IF i start the laptop and press F9 really quickly it just get stuck on the HP Logo screen with the F9 booting to bios, but it dose not go anywhere.

Any help is appriciated.

Many thanks

DS

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 5 of 6 (3,179 Views)

I don't use an encryption but it seems like it's not supported in the BIOS. Insyde BIOSes are very poor and HP is not going to implement more features in BIOSes, they keep it with basic functions but because of this, some laptops are just half working bricks..:smileysad:

When a laptop freezes on the HP logo, it needs to reformat the hard drive..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
sanath121
Message 6 of 6 (2,990 Views)

Thanks for the information.

I have got HP to repair the laptop. It is to do with the BIOS. They have replaced the HDD and updated the BIOS, but i not going to try the encryption since it may not work again!!!

If I have bought the laptop to install a software that supports the OS and also supports the hardware it seems really unfair for HP to setup the BIOS in this way and this goes against troubleshooting guides where you should always be able to boot in to the BIOS no matter what happens to the HDD or the MBR on the HDD. They should always act independently.

I have read through few more forums and it all points to the way HP have configured the BIOS to look for the MBR if there is a HDD present in the HDD slot, but if there is not HDD there it will go in to BIOS no issues.

Thanks and i hope HP fix this issue soon

Cheers,

DS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation