After restart, computer rebooted as a "brand new computer" (356 Views)
Student
pleasehelp33
Message 1 of 2 (356 Views)

After restart, computer rebooted as a "brand new computer"

My laptop is an HP G71 Notebook pc running windows 7 home premium.  A couple of days ago, I had the occasion to restart my computer.  Rather than seeing my normal sign in window for my desktop, my computer acted exactly like I was turning on a computer for the first time, i.e. "please wait while we build your desktop", "welcome to your new computer", etc.  My usual desktop was gone and no data whatsoever.  After recovering from a panic state, I rebooted and was presented with my computer in its' usual state.  This has not happened again, yet for obvious reasons, I am quite concerned.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Associate Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 2 (339 Views)

Re: After restart, computer rebooted as a "brand new computer"

Sometimes, Windows 7 loads a temporary profile if experiences any technical issues in loading the original profile. In this situation, you will see your files and the desktop icons & settings missing.

In most of the occasions, a restart will get back to original profile. In some occasions, as restart too will not get back to original profile. Here is a link that can help you in this situation:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5327984_fix-windows-profile-logged-temp.html

However, it is still not completely clear to me why this happens.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to say thanks!***
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation