Question

Honor Student
vmwalls
Message 1 of 4 (3,000 Views)

After upgrading Support Assistant (sp58915) the program won't function.

Computer: HP Pavilion dm4-2165dx

HP Support Assistant version: sp58915

What happend: HPSA wanted to upgrade to the lastest version.  I allowed it.  The installation seemed to go OK.  Once upgraded and rebooted, I ran the program to do a check for HP software updates.  When it got to the stage "preparing action list," a window popped up declaring that "the program has encounted a serious problem and must close."  Two option were offered, restart the program or close.  I tried restarting several times, and received the same message.

What I've tried: I downloaded the latest version of HPSA from the HP web site and attempted reinstall.  Next, I went into Control Panel/Uninstall Programs and uninstalled HPSA, then ran the installation program again.  I seemed to work until I tried a check for HP software again, and received the same message about a "serious problem.

Current status: HPSA is installed, and the system tray icon is there, but when I click on it, the program comes up, displays all the correct information at the buttom of the window regarding my system, but then comes the window that the programs has encounted a "serious problem and must close."

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 4 (2,998 Views)

Re: After upgrading Support Assistant (sp58915) the program won't function.

Hi,

Quick fix and safe option: Roll back the update using Windows Restore. Please:

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

then select Restore point back to before the updates.

Hope this helps.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
vmwalls
Message 3 of 4 (2,985 Views)

Thank you for the suggestion.  I did a system restore, and rolled back to the previous version of HPSA; however, when I ran the program, I got a message which read, "HPSF.exe has stoped working and must close."  So, whatever the problem was with the new version, it has now migrated to the previous version after the restore.

I'm not sure how that can happen, but that's the way it is now.  Not sure where I can go from here.

Honor Student
vmwalls
Message 4 of 4 (2,972 Views)

Here's an update on my situation: before going to bed last night I set my anti-virus/anti spyware software (Microsoft Security Essentials) to do a full scan of my system.  This morning, I attempted to run HPSA just to see what would happen.  It was the new version (not the one I restored through system restore) that came up, then hung and closed as before.

To avoid further complication and ensure functionality of my system, I went into control panel and uninstalled the HPSA.  So, that's where things stand now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation