Question

Honor Student
beeinthebottle
Message 1 of 13 (8,616 Views)

Alps Pointing Device/Touchpad and Windows 7

[ Edited ]

I recently bought a new HP laptop with Windows 7 installed. It has an Alps Pointing Device/Touchpad. From what I can troubleshoot, it's acting as if the "mouse" has ClickLock on...but when I go to mouse properties in the control panel, Windows 7 Help says under Mouse buttons, there should be an option to turn ClickLock off and on. My control panel window for mouse properties for the Alps doesn't have that option.

According to the Windows Help, this functionality seems to be what is "allowing me" to uniintentiallly drag, open, and close Windows simply by scrolling over them...and it's driving me crazy. Why don't I have "Turn ClickLock off" as an option on my control panel, as the help says I should? And how do I stop the touchpad pointer from operating with a mind of its own?

Things I've already tried: updating the Alps driver software, turning off tapping while typing, turning on show cursor when typing, and turning down touchpad sensitivity. It's not an option to turn the touchpad off...I'm using it as my sole mouse device. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Student
fdicocco
Message 2 of 13 (8,425 Views)

Re: Alps Pointing Device/Touchpad and Windows 7

I have the same problem with my desktop. Did you get it resolved?
Student
krispka
Message 3 of 13 (8,379 Views)

I have the same problem. I'd prefer to turn my touchpad off. I can't find anywhere to adust the touchpad. My device manager/control panel only gives the options to adjust ALPS mouse settings....touchpad is not mentioned. My cursor jumps all over the place.... very frustrating.

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 13 (8,368 Views)

[ Edited ]

krispka wrote:

I have the same problem. I'd prefer to turn my touchpad off. I can't find anywhere to adust the touchpad. My device manager/control panel only gives the options to adjust ALPS mouse settings....touchpad is not mentioned. My cursor jumps all over the place.... very frustrating.

Alps mouse settings is for the Touchpad settings. You should be able to turn it off and on with the little button at top of Touchpad, beside the light.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
beeinthebottle
Message 5 of 13 (8,352 Views)

I'm the original poster and am still looking for an answer to my question. My daughter, whom we gave an HP laptop to for Christmas, has the exact same issue I have. Personally, I need a solution that doesn't involve turning the the touchpad OFF; I'm using the touchpad as my mouse device. I can't tell you how many times my pointing device has kindly chosen to send off an email response to someone before I've begun it, much less finished it. This is truly frustrating.

Top Student
StolenName
Message 6 of 13 (8,301 Views)

I have the same problem with my Mini 311.  It causes random jumps, text format changes, and virtually every other problem one can think of.  I spent 75 minutes with HP Support today in an effort to fix it - 40 of those minutes listening to music I don't like which did not set the best of all possible moods.  Then the Tech wanted a serial number that was supposedly on the bottom of the computer - it was not.  After all that we did, the touchpad will still activate whatever it happens to be sitting upon, usually at the most inconvenient time.  I just do not understand why HP allows this situation to exist.  My Mini is virtually unusable, and I can not find how to control the problem.

Honor Student
doubletee2
Message 7 of 13 (8,236 Views)

Ditto here on the Mini 311. I installed a freeware program called Touch-Freeze 1.0 that helps when typing but I still experience some crazy behaviour. Too bad there is no button on the 311 like on the XP Mini 1000 which I replaced with the 311. I am experimenting with the drag lock settings. I turned the automatic drag release off to see if that will help.

Top Student
mmowens
Message 8 of 13 (8,067 Views)

I have similar problems with the touchpad on the Mini 311. (See the hardware forum for my post 15 minutes ago.) The problem I believe is that the ALPS touchpad is substandard to begin with, but really HP needs to provide a new driver. The driver does not work properly. I've had ALPS touchpads before; though none of them were all that great, none of them behaved so badly.

Suggestions I've seen, such as turn off tap to click or turning off the touchpad entirely are unacceptable. The touchpad should work out of the box like it has with EVERY other machine I've owned. I've never had a machine brand-new-out-of-the-box that functioned so badly. 

WE ALL need to be calling up the HP corporate office and making a big stink about this. That will make them fix it -- eventually.

Student
Summerknight
Message 9 of 13 (7,762 Views)

[ Edited ]

Alps Mouse and Touchpad are the samething!.... Also... I see there is a new ALPS Touchpad driver just released 3/2010. Maybe it will fix some problems... I would like the option to disable the thing myself....

Honor Student
beeinthebottle
Message 10 of 13 (7,733 Views)

I did a search for a March 2010 driver...and basically, one didn't jump out at me. Do you have a link?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation