Question

Top Student
aferg01
Message 1 of 21 (96,693 Views)
Accepted Solution

BIOS Admin Password Reset.

[ Edited ]

Hi, I recently bought a second-hand HP 6530b laptop. I need to get into the BIOS to activate the WIFI antennae, but I can't get into it, because it keeps asking me for a password.

I've tried removing the RTC battery and clearing the CMOS, but I still cannot get into the BIOS.

Or, is there a default password that I can use?

Can anyone please help?

Thank you very much.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 21 (96,688 Views)

Re: BIOS Admin Password Reset.

[ Edited ]

See if this works:

A.

The RTC battery needs to be removed for at least 5 minutes. Be sure to unplug the laptop and remove the main battery and maybe the HD to get at the RTC battery.

B. By Using Software:
The BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool might work. The BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is a program that works instantly to remove any lost or forgotten BIOS/CMOS password. Simply boot your PC to DOS and execute the program, and get access to forgotten BIOS/CMOS passwords in just seconds

BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool Service: http://www.biospasswordrecovery.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
aferg01
Message 3 of 21 (96,683 Views)

Hello. Thanks for the reply.

I left the battery out for 30 mins, but it don't reset the admin password. I've had a look around under the keyboard to see if there are any jumpers I can take out and put back in, but no luck there, either.

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 21 (96,680 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is a business class laptop,  I believe the only option is HP service to clear BIOS password.

Btw, why is it neccesary to enable wireless in BIOS? Odd that the former owner would disable it there. If you have HP Wireless Assistant installed,open it to see if Wireless can be turned on.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
aferg01
Message 5 of 21 (96,665 Views)

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I've opened up the wireless assistant, and it says that it has been disabled in the computer setup utility.

God knows why!

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 21 (96,651 Views)

I've never seen or used the software mentioned above by Big_Dave, but it might be worth a try and definately less expensive than having HP clear it for you. http://www.biospasswordrecovery.com/

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
aferg01
Message 7 of 21 (96,636 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've downloaded the password recovery tool and burnt the image to a disc, but now, I'm presented with the problem of the laptop not detecting the DVD drive not being detected at boot!

I press F9 at boot to select which I want to boot first, and all it gives me is ''Notebook Hard Drive'' and ''Notebook Ethernet.''

The DVD drive is not listed. :smileysad:

Master's Graduate
y2ken
Message 8 of 21 (96,607 Views)

[ Edited ]

You asked about default passwords, here's a couple of links with default passwords plus various ways to reset a BIOS password.

BIOS Password Recovery #1

BIOS Password Recovery #2

Provost
CherylG
Message 9 of 21 (96,533 Views)

Maybe your cd is not bootable. Try ImgBurn to burn the image, seems less problem with it than any I have tried.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burning_image_files_using_imgburn.cfm

Top Student
aferg01
Message 10 of 21 (96,523 Views)

I used Nero 7. That shouldn't make any difference, should it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation