BIOS Update on DV9000 (13728 Views)
Top Student
mike_zagorski
Message 1 of 15 (13,728 Views)

BIOS Update on DV9000

I recently installed a BIOS update on a DV9000.  It installed fine.  I shut down and the next day when I turned it on the LCD was blank.  I hooked it up to an external monitor and I could see the screen.  Tried a bunch of things to no avail.  I searched on the HP site and low and behold there was a problem installing the latest BIOS on a DV9000.  I called the help desk and they said my series wasn't listed and could not help.  I explained how the FAQ said "To date these are the models with problems, if yours isn't listed to call the desk".  The only answer i received was "it's not listed, we can't help".  This is the exact problem described, any suggestions how to get this resolved??  I've had the machine a little over a year now it's a doorstop.  I do not accept their answer but cannot figure how to talk to someone in the US who will actually listen to what I'm saying.

Please help!!!

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 15 (13,720 Views)

Re: BIOS Update on DV9000

Try a hard reset. Remove the power cord and battery. Next press and hold the power on button for 30 seconds. Now use only power cord for first attempt to start it.

Btw, did you install BIOS update from your specific (full) model's page, or simply from dv9000 page?

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
mike_zagorski
Message 3 of 15 (13,708 Views)

I'll try that tonight, thanks.  I'm not really sure where I installed it from.  Just followed the prompts from the laptop.

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 15 (13,691 Views)

[ Edited ]

mike_zagorski wrote:

I'll try that tonight, thanks.  I'm not really sure where I installed it from.  Just followed the prompts from the laptop.

Ah,so you installed using HP Advisor or Total Care Advisor installed on the laptop? That has caused many problems  being reported . I and other members here often caution against using either of those apps for updating BIOS.Unfortunately, most only hear that after they have problems and come here looking for help.

If I understand your issue completely, you can run the laptop using external monitor_just no picture on laptop screen? If so you may have better odds of solving your problem. Some have no boot at all after doing BIOS update

Can you please check for complete model number as shown in section 1 ,and post it.P/N in section 2 also will help: http://tinyurl.com/2krh3u

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
mike_zagorski
Message 5 of 15 (13,654 Views)

Hi,

I tried the thing with no battery and power holding the on buttone for 30 seconds, didn't help.

Model: DV9910US

P/N: FE694UA#ABA

Thank you very much for trying to help me on this, I really appreciate it.

Mike

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 15 (13,641 Views)

I am still trying to be sure about your issue , does it boot into Windows & run normally using external monitor_just no picture on laptop screen?

If so you may be able to reflash BIOS using another version.For instance this is a list of BIOS versions posted for your model. HERE  I assume the newest in the list ,F.32, is what you have now?

Top Student
mike_zagorski
Message 7 of 15 (13,635 Views)

Yes, it boots up fine and I can use the laptop without a problem on an external monitor.  The LCD is black.  Yes, this is the bios version I'm on is F.32.

Student
campos
Message 8 of 15 (13,627 Views)

Hi, I'm Jose Campos, i been having Bios problems too, I don't now waths going on, but my lap top some times doesn't start, the lights on the keyboard all come on, but the screen is all black, does'n show the phoenix advise like the bios not start to run, I just desconnect the power cord and take off the battery and it does start ok, but I'm tired of this, Do you have any fix for this?

Provost
CherylG
Message 9 of 15 (13,616 Views)

@mike

As you now know,flashing BIOS can always hold risks.With that said, I suggest that you consider reflashing with one of the others in the list I posted. F.2 seems to be the last which actually addressed anything major so you could go back that far...but it might be best to start with one version under the current version.

Good luck!

Top Student
mike_zagorski
Message 10 of 15 (13,613 Views)

Is it straightforward to reflash the BIOS or should I be aware of anything?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation