Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi HP Experts,

I have HP Pavilion DV5-1235dx laptop. Recently I'm having issue with this item. it's not working at all. The problem with this item is as follows: 

There are no entries on BIOS Boot option. I mean there are 5 options listed there but all are 00000000. can not display name as it used to show before this issue happened. It supposed to show Notebook Hard drive, CD-ROM drive, USB, Network Adaptor etc as the boot priority options. I tried to boot with CD, USB, External HDD etc but none recogniable as its bios has seemed to be erased somehow. Rest of the things on this laptop all are fine but I'm not being able to boot because of this BIOS issue. FYI it still has Company default OS i.e. Windows Vista HOME. I never tried to upgrade OS even though there are 2 new OS has already been released since then. 

I guess I need to update BIOS in order to have those options back and to make it identify HDD, CD or USB. There is no doubt that any Hardware items are gone wrong. I took out HDD and plugged it in another computer as external HDD. Everything looks good. I have my files/folders 'AS IS'. 

As it doesn't recognize any bootable drives and can't boot itself, how will I be able to upgrade BIOS or is there any tip and tricks to make it identify bootable drives so that I could boot the machine and upgrade the BIOS. 

Attempts I tried: 

- Bootable CD [Not recognizable]

-Bootable USB [Not recognizable]

-Safe mode boot [No luck]

-HDD/Memory Test [Everything results OK]

-Took out, Battery, CMOS battery and unplugged power cord and placed them back after 5 mins and tried to boot - [No luck]

Any appropriate solution to address this issue will be highly appreciated. 

Thank,

HP User

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Can anyone response to my concern today?

HP Recommended

Try this. Can be a bit tricky to get the right key press sometimes, but I've seen it do miracles here in the office:

c02693833

HP Notebook   PCs - Restoring the BIOS

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your prompt response on this issue. 

Unfortunately the problem could not resolve with this procedure. 

I strictly follow the steps. it appreared to be working at the being. I heard couple of beeps and after couple seconds it turned to the gray screen and stayed there. 

After waiting for a while I reboot the system and entered to the BIOS where I can see the same thing i.e. Under boot options, > Boot Order > 0000

Nothing is readable except one last option i.e. Network Adapter. 

Pls suggest what else I can do.

Thanks,

RP

HP Recommended
I am sorry but I don't think this is good. I believe you need to contact assisted support. HP can either help you re-fill in the missing DMI information on the motherboard... or replace the motherboard altogether. http://www.hp.com/support
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it would be worthy for me if they need to replace the motherboard or so. It's obvious that it's not within warranty. I really don't wanna spent much money for this as it's already about 4 years old. But wanted to fix with minimal expenses as it has rest of the things seem to be fine. 

My problem exactly match with this : 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443371

Symptom: LEDs glow, fan noise is heard but display is blank

I did HDD hard test, Memory test. Everything is fine. I don't have cable for external display so I have not tried that option yet. 

I had purchased this laptop beginning of 2009 from BestBuy store. 

BTW such problem was occured right after the WiFi adaptor was not working.  I could not connect WiFi then i reboot ... I stuck. This time too, Wireless LED is orange but other lights are normal. 

Also, Last link you provided me didn't help to find any further info. 

Thanks,

RP

HP Recommended

So... it sounds like you can perform the UEFI tests... I find it odd that you can do that, but not boot to devices.

since you can get in and test things...I am not sure what is going on at this point. I have to leave now, but here are some other good documents that might help you figure things out:

UEFI and startup menu:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03801890

Here is a document on those tests: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443317

I would do the extensive tests to see if anything pops up.

HP Recommended

Somehow I couldn't get UEFI menu as you suggested. There is no way I can find even with your last tips. 

Still Expecting Resolution of this issue. 

HP Recommended

Sometimes there is no resolution other than you have bad hardware. Everything I would know to do has been mentioned here and appears not to work. I suspect either the motherboard or the BIOS ROM chip has gone bad. 

HP Recommended

change the boot mode to legacy boot mode from bios, it should work! had the same problem, fixed now!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.