Question

Student
leonardlin
Message 1 of 2 (4,767 Views)

BIOS settings grayed out, Login To BIOS as Administrator?

I have a HP 2760P and I'm running Windows 7 64bit,

I did a clean install since I replaced the harddisk, I installed HP Protect Tools.

Problem:

Most of the BIOS settings are grayed out, I can't change anything. Do I need to login to the BIOS as Administrator or so?

When I enter the BIOS I get asked to login.

I can only login with my Domain-Account, I can't enter another account name.

I therefore login and see the bios-settings.

However most settings are grayed out.

"Set Administrator Password" is also grayed out.

How can I enable the BIOS-settings?

Do I need to Login into the BIOS as an Administrator? How can I do that, during entering the BIOS it only let's me login as my regular domain-account or how can I even set an Administrator-Password?

Thanks and best regards

Honor Student
Eric_HP
Message 2 of 2 (4,395 Views)

Re: BIOS settings grayed out, Login To BIOS as Administrator?

leonardlin wrote:

I have a HP 2760P and I'm running Windows 7 64bit,

I did a clean install since I replaced the harddisk, I installed HP Protect Tools.

Problem:

Most of the BIOS settings are grayed out, I can't change anything. Do I need to login to the BIOS as Administrator or so?

When I enter the BIOS I get asked to login.

I can only login with my Domain-Account, I can't enter another account name.

I therefore login and see the bios-settings.

However most settings are grayed out.

"Set Administrator Password" is also grayed out.

How can I enable the BIOS-settings?

Do I need to Login into the BIOS as an Administrator? How can I do that, during entering the BIOS it only let's me login as my regular domain-account or how can I even set an Administrator-Password?

Thanks and best regards

What I have found is that this situation arose for me when I logged in to the BIOS as a regular user after installing HP ProtectTools and enabling Pre-boot authentication.  I needed to log in as an admin user.

However, in my case, I had yet to set up an administrative password for the BIOS prior to setting up HP ProtectTools.  What I needed to do was the following set of steps:

1.  When the system reboots, it SHOULD give you the option to log in to the BIOS as a guest or registered user.  Log in as GUEST into the BIOS instead of a registered user (wierd, but it works).

2.  Go to BIOS Security settings and create a BIOS admin password.

3.  You should then be able to edit additional settings, although you may need to log out and then log in as guest and type your new BIOS admin password.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Eric

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation