Question

Student
sasoras
Message 1 of 21 (3,146 Views)

BOOTMGR is missing

I know the problem is fairly common, and i've seen the answers,but one probelm won;t allow me to reach the answers.

The problem here is i cannot Load the system recovery DVDs after making the dvd drive the first on the boot order list, i still get  the error regardless. The dvs were provided, when i purchased the laptop.

When i press f11 it just black screens and restarts, and doesn't go to recover options.

Using a Pavilion dv6700

Model dv6904ca

If i'm in the wrong section forgive me.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 21 (3,104 Views)

Re: BOOTMGR is missing

Enter BIOS and run the Diagnostics on your hdd.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
mrsayao
Message 3 of 21 (3,014 Views)

[ Edited ]

Cheryl,

I'm having the same problem on my laptop. I have a Pavillion dv6636nr. I received the SMART error warning saying the disk was going bad and should be replaced. I also ran the test utility within the bios and it gave me the same error.

When booting and receiving the SMART error warning, I have the option to press F1 but nothing happens. I let it sit for over 5 minutes and the message just stays there.

I'm able to access and copy files from the drive via a USB-SATA connector, but I can tell the drive has a bunch of bad sectors because during a defrag, I get write errors.

My next option (since I'm out of warranty) is to replace the drive. I don't have Recovery discs, but because of the reason below, I'm reluctant that it will actually work:

In the BIOS, the CD/DVD drive is listed at the top of the Boot Order, however, when I boot, the SMART error comes up immediately after POST. Also, when I boot and try hitting F9, the only bootable devices that are listed are:

3. Hard Disk

6. USB bootable drive

It seems like the CD/DVD drive isn't being picked up. I did verify that "Boot CD/DVD" is set to ENABLED in the bios as well. I tried a hard reset (and cleared the CMOS). If I can't boot to CD, having the recovery set is moot.

In the BIOS, there's no where for me to see if the CD/DVD drive is being picked up correctly.

I thought this might be a BIOS issue, so I looked online for a BIOS update. The thing is that I can't apply a BIOS update because the computer won't boot and it appears all BIOS updates offered for the laptop utilize WinPhlash (meaning I must run it on the actual machine). Additionally, I looked through all the "enhancements" or "fixes" for each BIOS update and none mention the disappearing CD/DVD drive. By the way, the drive spins up fine, and it sounds like it's reading, but when trying all of the above, nothing happens.

Questions:

1) Will replacing the HDD somehow "enable" CD/DVD booting?

2) Is there a way to update the bios with a usb key

2a) Is the bios update even available on HP's Support site without the use of WinPhlash?

3) The largest capacity HDD for this laptop is listed in the service manual as 250gb. In your experience has anyone been able to use a 500gb HDD in this laptop?

I appreciate your help! I see you're a PRO at this so maybe you can help!!!

(also to OP, sorry to troll, but this problem IS related!!)

Honor Student
jaggedlittlepil
Message 4 of 21 (3,005 Views)

I also have the same problem. I hope someone could help us.

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 21 (2,999 Views)

@mrsayao

For a quick test of CD/DVD boot ability, get Partition Wizard (a free handy tool to have).Download the Bootable CD iso here .Get ImgBurn here to burn the image to cd. Try booting from it..if it works you know the drive is ok.

If your hdd still boots into Windows,you could try creating a USB Flash Recovery.

Recover Windows 7 or Vista Operating System Using USB Flash Drive

On some of these older laptops a 500gb hdd gives problems.Have never seen any problems reported with 320gb.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
mrsayao
Message 6 of 21 (2,991 Views)

I'll report my findings... I've seen your suggestions but no one followed up, I hate that! Thanks again!

Grad Student
Homerepairman
Message 7 of 21 (2,981 Views)

[ Edited ]

The easiest way to recover the BOOTMGR is to boot to the operating system disc.

NOT a recovery disc !!!

When the option is available choose STARTUP REPAIR.

It will scan for the BCD file,(which is boot configuration data),in the root drive.

After the scan it will display your system in the list. It may also show your recovery partition.

Do not choose the recovery partition to boot to. If their are two listings then one of them is the recovery partition.

If that is the case then the second one in the list should be your operating system partition.

After repair, remove disc and reboot.

GL

Master's Graduate
edbergjun
Message 8 of 21 (2,973 Views)

or choose COMMAND PROMPT and type the ff:   chkdsk c: /f/r

c: stands for your operating systems drive letter, if not try d: or e:

Top Student
mrsayao
Message 9 of 21 (2,957 Views)

Cheryl,

Tried booting the cd you referenced. Didn't work. Looks like the CD drive isn't being picked up... Same goes for a Retail Discs of Windows Vista (dvd), XP (cd), 7 (dvd) (tried them all, they all work on a different computer). The weirdest part is that when I put the CD/Drive at the top of the list, the Boot Menu screen (when hitting F9) does NOT display the CD drive at all. Note, the HDD isn't listed in the menu because I've pulled it from the computer (regardless if it's attached, the CD drive isn't displayed).

Any other suggestions? Pictures attached...

Edbergjun,

Yeah I tried that initially. If you read the post, I don't have the recovery discs, just retail cd's dvd's. Also the problem I'm having is that the CD/DVD drive isn't being picked up. I've also done chkdsk on the drive while it's attached to another computer and it fixed all errors, but still won' boot due to the SMART error I mentioned. Thanks for your help though!

CD/DVD is ENABLED

boot options.JPG

Boot Order
boot order.JPG
When F9 is pressed...
F9.JPG

Provost
CherylG
Message 10 of 21 (2,954 Views)

Try removing the CD/DVD drive and booting once without it. Should only be 1 screw to remove and detach it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation