Question

Tutor
MilesToGo
Message 1 of 17 (38,234 Views)
Accepted Solution

Base System Device & Coprocessor driver problem with Windows 7 - Pavilion dv9720us

I have an HP Pavilion dv9720us which has been very glitchy with Vista 32-bit.  After backing up everything on a Seagate Replica external harddrive I did a clean install of Windows 7 64bit.  Everything seems to be working, but I get error messages indicating that the Base System Device x 2 does not work because it doesn't have the correct driver,  the Coprocessor is also listed as not having the correct driver.  All 3 of these devices are listed under Other Devices in device manager.   In additon, my laptop has 4 GB of RAM and yet Windows 7 only recognizes 2 GB.  Help!  I deliberately upgraded to reduce the glitchy reponses from Vista. I could go to Windows 7 32-bit, but I not sure that will fix any of my problems.

Thank you so much!

Kathy

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 17 (38,210 Views)

Re: Base System Device & Coprocessor driver problem with Windows 7 - Pavilion dv9720us

Hi,

Use Your Vista drivers from here for Your model.

Coprocessor:

NVIDIA nForce AR Chipset Driver here

Base System Device:

Ricoh 5-1 Card Reader Driver here

If there will be any problems with installation of any file use compability mode. how to do it all informations here.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Tutor
MilesToGo
Message 3 of 17 (38,217 Views)

Re: Base System Device & Coprocessor driver problem with Windows 7 - Pavilion dv9720us

We're not quite there yet.  Thank you for directing me to the right drivers which fixed the device driver problem.  However, I have 4 GB of RAM on my laptop and Windows 7 is only recognizing 2 GB.  Is there anyway I can get Windows 7 to recognize the other 2 GB?

Thanks,

Kathy

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 4 of 17 (38,207 Views)

I've got some questions before I will propose any solution on this problem.

Have You got this Ram after upgrade or were You having it even in Vista. If You were having it also in Vista was it working correctlly?

I know then it's sound stupi but please answer on this questions.

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Tutor
MilesToGo
Message 5 of 17 (38,188 Views)

I had the 4GB of RAM prior to the upgrade.  Vista 32-bit never recgonized more than 2GB. 

Best Regards,

Kath 

Intern
ozzy091
Message 6 of 17 (38,623 Views)

Well you may need to check what amt of memory is detected in BIOS...
Regard's

Osel Cerejo
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 7 of 17 (38,661 Views)

Can You make a print screen and post this photo here.

You may put this picture to on any server and just put here link to it.

Tutor
MilesToGo
Message 8 of 17 (38,630 Views)

OK, what screen do you want a picture of?   I checked the BIOS and it shows 2048MB which I think is 2GB, but it also shows the operating system as Vista Factory Installed which it isn't.

Regards,

Kathy

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 9 of 17 (38,604 Views)

[ Edited ]

Unmount Your Ram and mount it again.

Notes:

1. Be sure then You haven't got battery or ac adaptor conected to Your laptop.

2. Manufacter installed in this model 2048 MB Ram (2GB) so if You haven't added 2 GB on Your own everything is ok .

If there will be still problems and Your really have 4 GB:

Check You Ram with Memtest86+ or GoldMemory. Just burn *.iso file on CD and run test. You may need to change boot order in Bios (to get to bios on boot press F10).

Message Edited by Daniel_Potyrala on 10-30-2009 12:57 PM

Tutor
MilesToGo
Message 10 of 17 (38,526 Views)

When I bought the laptop it had two 1GB RAM chips...one in each slot.  I replaced them with two 2GB RAM chips ....one in each slot.  I did as you suggested and turned the laptop off, disconnected the AC and battery, removed the RAM and reseated it.  I booted the laptop back up and SUCCESS! my laptop now recognized all 4GB of RAM.

Thank you very much for your help!  You rock!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation