Question

Tutor
koymackoy
Message 1 of 2 (7,746 Views)

Beep codes

Product name: Compaq CQ40 310au

Error: Beep codes

Hi! Can anyone help me on how to diagnose and troubleshoot my laptop. Upon running dxdiag it displays that my BIOS is Default System BIOS. Where can I find the corresponding meaning/message of the beep codes? Below is a link where I found some of the BIOS manufacturer but failed to locate mine.

http://www.5starsupport.com/info/beep_codes.htm

On the above link there is a section for Compaq BIOS, but I think this is not what I'm looking for since the beep that I hear when turning on my laptop are 3 short beeps.

Note: After the 3 short beeps my laptop is able to load the OS and I'm able to use it "normally".

Thanks in advance..:smileyhappy:

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 2 (7,708 Views)

Re: Beep codes

[ Edited ]

Here is a reference for beep/blink codes from HP. In BIOS test the memory modules. You may also test them by removing both and trying them in the slot closest to the cpu by powering up afterwards. When you find the module that does not allow booting up without beep codes or otherwise you have found the faulty module.

regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation